You can read our latest monthly News Sheet by clicking here: July News Sheet
(once you have read it press the back button (often a left arrow) on your browser to return here). Previous news sheets can be found in Links the sidebar or at the bottom of the page.
To get the National U3A Newsletter every month by email sign up here: U3A Newsletter
- Some members travelled to Kent for a lovely holiday in June, click here to read more and see some pictures > Kent Holiday
- Thursday Concert An appreciative audience enjoyed a splendid concert on Thursday 11th July presented by our four music groups. There were well-received performances from both ukulele groups, Singing for Pleasure and, pictured here, the Music Performing group. What a lovely way to spend Thursday morning! And what talented members we have!
- New Constitution Adopted - The membership voted to adopt the new constitution on Tuesday which will now be sent to the Charities Commission to be registered. Thank you to all those who attended ensuring the meeting was quorate.
- Time for a new Constitution - At the Special General Meeting on Tuesday 2nd July members of Chester U3A will be asked to vote on adopting an updated constitution. So be there with your membership card to make sure we are quorate and can move forward with a sound legal footing. More info on the SGM page. The normal monthly meeting follows directly after the SGM.
- Coffee time at Storyhouse on 1st July. Report from Mal our Vice Chair. 'We had a great meeting at Storyhouse this morning. A dozen or so of us met up for a drink and a chat. A few were relatively recently-joined members who'd come along to get to know more people with two prospective new members looking for more information. Why not come and join us next month? Hopefully it will be the first Monday morning in August, though we have still to confirm with Storyhouse so don't forget to watch this space.'
- Volunteers - We are pleased to announce: 1) Joseph O'Neill will be taking over the organisation of the Popular Science series from 2020. He would welcome volunteers to assist on the day with tasks such as greeting guests and serving coffee. If you think you can help, please let me know by a message to the Chair. 2) Robert Dunham will be taking a new post, Proof Reader of the News Sheet.
- Chester U3A has been chosen from 10 U3As in the UK to partner an exchange with Upsalla U3A, Sweden. Contact our Chair to register an interest. To find out a little more about them click here > Upsalla U3A
- Coffee time at Storyhouse Monday 3rd June, 10.30-12.30am & Monday 3rd July. Read our press release here > Coffee at Story House PR. An opportunity to meet other members, bring your friends along to discover ‘U3A’ and ask all the questions you never get the time to ask. Find out more about the Interest Groups and how you can help your U3A. Watch out for the press release in your local paper to launch this initiative closer to the date This may attract new members, existing members, and members who only attend groups. Purchase your drinks at The Kitchen, Storyhouse and join us for a chat. Please come along and give it your support.
- New Thursday meeting format. The second new format Thursday meeting took place on 11th April. You can read more about it on the Thursday Meeting page.
- New U3A Facebook page - We have recently set up a Facebook page for Chester U3A. We hope you will find it interesting and informative - please give it a try. As the page grows over time, it will contain details about our events and activities to give all members a flavour of the huge range of what groups, and Chester U3A as a whole, are doing. It can be viewed via this link > Facebook. You can also add information about your own group etc. You do this by going to the ‘Create Post’ section on the page, where you can add text, photos or even videos to show what the U3A has been doing, or things that we have planned. Please ensure that information about any individual, and especially any photographs, has the approval of the people concerned. All posts have to be moderated by one of the designated administrators from Chester U3A, so it may be a couple of days before you see your item.
- New Thursday meeting format. The meeting on 14th March was the first of the new format Thursday meetings. These meetings will focus on the activites of Chester U3A Groups and members (as opposed to the Tuesday meetings which usual have an external speaker). This "Pot Pourri" meeting (the name being given to mutli-topic meetings) included displays from a number of groups looking for new members and six very informative presentations from members. Audience feedback on the new format was very encouraging.
- The North West Region Summer School takes place 27-30th August at Newton Rigg College Penrith. Ten different subjects are available and you get to socialise with lots of other interesting U3A members. See more by clicking Summer School Info. Full details on the North West Region of U3As website events page. NOW FULLY BOOKED
- A record turnout of 91 for the February Popular Science morning. Click the link Popular Science or go to the Groups page and select Popular Science to read all about it.
- Our February quiz was well attended with over a dozen teams puzzling over questions with a range of themes. Some found the St Valentines Day ones the most tricky whilst it was movies for others. Photos to the right.
- Industrial Heritage 3 group went on a fascinating tour of Theatr Clwyd on Wednesday 6th February seeing behind the scenes as well as on stage. See more with photos on their group page.