The English Language
|NEW Course via Zoom beginning on Wednesday 12th August|
***** THIS COURSE IS NOW FULLY SUBSCRIBED *****
To contact Thomas Study Group Leader,-- Click on the icon at the top right-handside of this page.
THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE: from its earliest dialects to the world’s leading language
This will be a re-run of Thomas' earlier HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE course, but slightly shorter and less detailed. It will look at how English developed, mainly in Britain, but also in AMERICA and later in the various nations of the EMPIRE.
In the process will trace the steps by which it became the world’s LINGUA FRANCA. Will ask if it is likely to remain, perhaps even expand its role, or if it will give way to another language in the foreseeable future.
In addition will look at different forms of English/dialects/the language of the internet and the difference between the language as spoken in youth culture and by older generations.
The course will cover 10 sessions in all and will be conducted on ZOOM every WEDNESDAY at 2.00 PM, beginning on the 12th of AUGUST 2020.
People interested to join should contact Thomas via the Message Icon as soon as possible.
1) From the ancient Britons to the ANGLO-SAXONS
2) 1066 and how the Normans influenced the change of ENGLISH
3) The Language of the King James Bible and Shakespeare’s contribution
4) From the 18th century to the present :changes, how and why.
5) English exported and developed abroad: AMERICAN and AUSTRALIAN
6) How the Empire propagated the English language and what it became
7) Diversification of language : youth culture, internet English, standard English
8) Some English dialects from across the UK and USA
9) Reasons for the relentless spread of English since 1945
10) Whose English is it anyway ? Who influences World English and how ?