Follow us on Twitter or Facebook @NewquayU3A or Virtual Newquay U3A Blog
We would appreaciate photos and/or articles about recent Newquay u3a activities to add to our blog. Please email Website & Social Media
CONNECTING ON THE COURT
Saturday 21 May 2022 11am-3pm
a new Treasurer and Membership Secretary were welcomed on to the Committee. We had a very interesting presentation from Louis Gardner, the Mayor of Newquay for the past two years. Please see the link: AGM Minutes 2022
CURRENT INTEREST GROUPS
- Antiques and Collectables - Chris. Usually last Monday of the month.
- Badminton - Pauline or Geraldine. 11.30 to 12:30 weekly on a Friday. Cost £3. More members welcome.
- Book Club – Margaret. Last Friday of the month 2.30pm
- Bridge – Caroline and Margaret. Wednesday 2pm and Friday 6.30pm.
- Creative Writing – Currently suspended due to lack of members. Contact Valerie if you wish to participate.
- Cornish Dancing – Sheilah. Notice on the noticeboard, restart January.
- Cycling group – Bob. New members encouraged to join
- Food with Friends. John. Ad hoc dates.
- Family History – Sheilah is happy to do this on a one to one basis.
- French Conversation – Pauline. Second and fourth Monday of the month at 10:30am to 12:00.
- Garden Appreciation – Tina has now taken over leadership of this group.
- Longer Walking Group – Janet. Weekly walks in progress.
- Music Appreciation – Libby. In people’s houses or Venue TBA
- Nature Study Saunter – Valerie. Ad-hoc guided saunters.
- Photography – John. JM has linked up to the OneDrive and has put people’s photos up. He will then invite all members to load up their new photo’s.
- Play Reading – Annie or Chris at St Columb Minor Village Institute.
- Pub Games – David. Restart in January at British Legion – dominoes and cribbage. When he is confident about Covid, will move back to the Travellers rest where other games are available.
- Rummikub – June reported that this has restarted every Monday 2pm. If enough people turn up can also have Whist.
- Saunter Group - Valerie. Weekly saunters usually on Saturdays.
- Scrabble Group now started by Christine. Fortnightly Monday afternoons (2pm). She has one Scrabble board which belongs to u3a and everyone else brings their own.
- Singing for Fun – Marianne. In her house.
- Social Group - Valerie. Second and fourth Friday of the month at 11am for coffee and catch up at the Heron Centre café followed by a saunter around Trenance.
- Sunday Lunch – Josie is not longer going to run this group. Please let us know if you are prepared to run this group.
- Table Tennis could be set up at Treviglas but can’t get hold of the table at the moment.
- Technology Support Group – ad hoc help with phones, PC’s, Tablets - contact Caroline in the first instance. Sign up on Noticeboard for support.
- Walking Group – Sheilah. Fortnightly walks. Walks on the noticeboard.
- Yoga - Clive is looking at doing a beginners session at the Heron Centre from 11am to 12 noon, day tbd. Own Yoga mat and medical disclosure required.
Groups requiring new Group Leader
- Exploring Poetry.
Special General Meeting held on Zoom 8th June
We had a speaker for this meeting: Ashley Jones, Regional Fraud Protect Advisor, who spoke on the subject of how we can keep ourselves protected from fraud.
As we did not have a quorate number of attendees at our AGM last month, we formally ratified the decisions taken at the AGM, therefore this General Meeting was also an SGM to enable us to do that.
Minutes of the meeting can be read here: Minutes: Zoom General Meeting June 2021
Annual General Meeting held on Zoom 11 May 2021
New Chairman's Report
17th November 2020: Our new chairman, John Woodason, has written a welcome statement which you can read here: Report from New Chairman
Zoom AGM held at 10:30am on 27th October 2020
Unfortunately, due to the Coronavirus crisis Newquay's U3A Day planned event for June 3rd 2020 had to be cancelled. We hope to celebrate this event in 2022.
When you renew your Newquay U3A membership, or when you join Newquay U3A, think about signing up for the U3A magazine "Third Age Matters" (TAM). There are lots of interesting articles, holiday offers, members letters, tips for third-agers and a page of brain games. Ask our Committee at our next General Meeting and we'll show you some examples. LearnLaughLive
Please let the Committee know if anyone has a special birthday this year so that a card can be sent.
Our latest newsletters can be seen by clicking on the relevant link on this page.
Our latest Newsletter is also available at the General Meetings.
We need Volunteers
Newquay U3A is organised totally by volunteers, without whom there would be no Newquay U3A.
Our Committee are volunteers. Our Group Leaders are volunteers. Our General Meetings have to have organisers. There are people who organise the speakers, people who help to set up the rooms ready for the meeting, marshals in the car park, people who officiate at the sign in desk, people who make tea and coffee, people who introduce you to other people if you look lost, people who clear up afterwards. These people are all volunteers.
- We desperately need car park marshals at the Lane Theatre. Volunteers to do this on a rota basis would be very welcome.
- We can always do with some help to set up the rooms ready for the General Meeting at the Lane Theatre.
- We need Group Leaders to organise other group meetings. Please email the Groups Coordinator to volunteer.
We are always grateful for any help from other volunteers. Skills learned in our working lives can be very useful in Newquay U3A. Using our skills to help others is good for the soul.
If you would like to volunteer to join the Committee, or to lead a new Interest Group, or to help out at General Meetings, please click on the "send a message" link on this page.
Newquay u3a Blog: Please click on this link to see current posts on our blog: VIRTUAL NEWQUAY U3A
Facebook and Twitter: We have a Newquay U3A Facebook Page, where you can see photos and reviews of some of our activities and our speakers. Please click on the link or seach @NewquayU3A. If you have any photos you would like to send us of your U3A events please send an email to Website & Social Media for instructions on how to do that. Please make sure that you have permission from anyone clearly shown in the photo for their picture to go on Facebook. Similarly we also "tweet" about some of our events on Twitter