Follow us on Twitter or Facebook @NewquayU3A or Virtual Newquay U3A Blog
GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
Minutes from our General Meetings can be read by clicking on the links below:
|Oct 21 Meeting||211012 General Meeting Minutes|
|Sep 21 Meeting||210914 General Meeting Minutes|
|Aug 21 Meeting||210810 General Meeting Minutes|
CURRENT INTEREST GROUPS
- Antiques and Collectables – Chris Bramhall 07531 660881. Current venue (Committee Room at Crantock Village Hall) is limited in numbers and only booked till Christmas, and therefore currently not taking on new members. Last Monday of the month. St Columb Minor Working Men’s Club may be a possible member, or St Columb Minor Parish Church Hall.
- Badminton - Pauline Scotting 07757 122236, Geraldine Fairweather 01637 873912. Treviglas School 11.30 to 12:30 weekly on a Friday. Cost £3. Pay at reception. Seven members so far. JM to take Photos for next GM.
- Book Club – Margaret Biddle 07972 823877. Will be on the last Friday of the month, 2pm at Newquay Library. Not up and running yet. Start date to be confirmed. Please contact Margaret on her mobile to join in.
- Bridge – Caroline Birkby 07766 165766 and Margaret Harris 01637 875820. Wednesday 2pm at the Lanherne. Friday at Sandy Lodge Hotel, Newquay at 6.30pm.
- Creative Writing – Valerie Tams 01637 852162 to restart Mon Oct 18th as there has been some interest. She is starting this at the Lanherne 2pm.
- Cornish Dancing – Sheilah Terry 01637 830037 will restart soon – details to be advised, as Sheilah has already booked a hall. There is a lot of interest in this and PS to try to get a confirmed answer on when it will restart. Margaret Biddle or Janet Wilkins are prepared to help.
- Cycling Group – Bob Hay 01637 498177 or mobile 07712 271619 . This will be a social cycling group. The first one will be cycling around Newquay. Meet Newquay Sports Centre car park 10:30am Thursday 14th October for short ride of 6.5 miles to Trenance Cottages café and discuss what members want to do in future and how often to meet. Carol and Nick Foscoe are attending.
- Food with Friends – to be started in December. Contact John Woodason 07724 051873.
- French Conversation – Pauline Scotting 07757 122236. Second and fourth Monday of the month at the Hub, Nansleden at 10:30am to 12:00. This month is 18th and 25th and is an anomaly. Charge is £2.50 per person and includes tea and coffee. Currently may not be a facility for locking up bikes. PS to investigate options.
- Garden Appreciation – Margaret Lagor 01637 874894, Dot Stapleton 01637 877008 and Margaret Hutchinson. October 26th – Trewithen Gardens. Minibus leaves Chester Rd at 10:30am. Those in cars arrive in car park by 11am to meet everyone else. November 21st – Heligan. Julie Guest and Valerie Tams have taken names and the minibus is now full. If anyone else wants to go by car bookings can be made on line. November 23rd Trelawney Garden Centre. There will be a minibus and cars as required. December around 7th is the Christmas Party at Bay Tree restaurant at Goonhavern. £5 deposit required at next meeting. Rosemoor gardens day trip is planned for 2022. Another day trip to Dartmouth area. Margaret may decide to try to book another minibus. She will be available in the lobby at each Group meeting.
- Longer Walking Group – Janet Wilkins 01637 861115 weekly walks in progress.
- Music Appreciation – Libby Joyce 01637 859313, restart October. Used to be in in people’s houses. Venue TBA (Hub, or St Columb Minor Working Mens Club)
- Nature Study Saunter – Valerie Tams 01637 852162 ad-hoc saunters on-going.
- Photography – John Mankelow 01637 881957. Restart planned with an exhibition of photos. Details to be advised.
- Play Reading – Annie Jose 01637 875382, Chris Spindler 01637 878540 restarted 24th September at 2pm last Friday of the month at St Columb Minor Village Institute.
- Pub Games – David Stevens 07552 618800 restart date to be advised. David not well currently so on hold. The Tavern pub was used in the past.
- Quiz first Monday of the Month on Zoom. JM to circulate details of Zoom link.
- Saunter Group - Valerie Tams 01637 852162 ad-hoc saunters on-going.
- Scrabble – contact Christine Turner 01637 852426. Meet at the Lanherne on Monday afternoons. Annika Parris, Valerie Holley, Rachel Pettitte, and one other are to be contacted by Christine. Please phone Christine if interested in going.
- Singing for Fun – Marianne Westwood will be restarting this group in October and happy to do it in her house. Jennie Barnes has offered to pass on folders. Marianne asked people to contact her if they want to join. Start date to be announced at the end of October.
- Social Group - Valerie Tams 01637 852162 second and fourth Friday of the month at 11am for coffee and catch up at the Heron Centre café.
- Sunday Lunch – Josie Pye 07714 214141. Restart date unknown. The Griffin could be a potential venue.
- Table Tennis could be set up at Treviglas. Three people have asked about this. PS to investigate.
- Technology Support Group – ad hoc help with phones, PC’s, Tablets - contact Caroline 07766 165766 in the first instance.
- Walking Group – Sheilah Terry 01637 830037. Fortnightly walks.
Groups requiring new Group Leader
- Exploring Poetry.
- Rummikub and Whist – could be one group but we don’t have a leader. Could also perhaps join in with Pub Games.
Special General Meeting held on Zoom 8th June
We had a speaker for this meeting: Ashley Jones, Regional Fraud Protect Advisor, who spoke on the subject of how we can keep ourselves protected from fraud.
As we did not have a quorate number of attendees at our AGM last month, we formally ratified the decisions taken at the AGM, therefore this General Meeting was also an SGM to enable us to do that.
Minutes of the meeting can be read here: Minutes: Zoom General Meeting June 2021
Annual General Meeting held on Zoom 11 May 2021
New Chairman's Report
17th November 2020: Our new chairman, John Woodason, has written a welcome statement which you can read here: Report from New Chairman
Zoom AGM held at 10:30am on 27th October 2020
Unfortunately, due to the Coronavirus crisis Newquay's U3A Day planned event for June 3rd 2020 had to be cancelled. We hope to celebrate this event in 2022.
When you renew your Newquay U3A membership, or when you join Newquay U3A, think about signing up for the U3A magazine "Third Age Matters" (TAM). There are lots of interesting articles, holiday offers, members letters, tips for third-agers and a page of brain games. Ask our Committee at our next General Meeting and we'll show you some examples. LearnLaughLive
Please let the Committee know if anyone has a special birthday this year so that a card can be sent.
Our latest newsletters can be seen by clicking on the relevant link on this page.
Our latest Newsletter is also available at the General Meetings.
We need Volunteers
Newquay U3A is organised totally by volunteers, without whom there would be no Newquay U3A.
Our Committee are volunteers. Our Group Leaders are volunteers. Our General Meetings have to have organisers. There are people who organise the speakers, people who help to set up the rooms ready for the meeting, marshals in the car park, people who officiate at the sign in desk, people who make tea and coffee, people who introduce you to other people if you look lost, people who clear up afterwards. These people are all volunteers.
- We desperately need car park marshals at the Lane Theatre. Volunteers to do this on a rota basis would be very welcome.
- We can always do with some help to set up the rooms ready for the General Meeting at the Lane Theatre.
- We need Group Leaders to organise other group meetings. Please email the Groups Coordinator to volunteer.
We are always grateful for any help from other volunteers. Skills learned in our working lives can be very useful in Newquay U3A. Using our skills to help others is good for the soul.
If you would like to volunteer to join the Committee, or to lead a new Interest Group, or to help out at General Meetings, please click on the "send a message" link on this page.
Newquay u3a Blog: Please click on this link to see current posts on our blog: VIRTUAL NEWQUAY U3A
Facebook and Twitter: We have a Newquay U3A Facebook Page, where you can see photos and reviews of some of our activities and our speakers. Please click on the link or seach @NewquayU3A. If you have any photos you would like to send us of your U3A events please send an email to Website & Social Media for instructions on how to do that. Please make sure that you have permission from anyone clearly shown in the photo for their picture to go on Facebook. Similarly we also "tweet" about some of our events on Twitter