Please click on the link above to go to our new Virtual Newquay U3A Blog
20th March 2020 @ 21:15: Due to the Coronavirus Crisis, ALL NEWQUAY U3A meetings are suspended until further notice
We would appreciate some interesting articles and photos to add to it, so please send links to on-line articles, photos, or email photos, stories, memoirs, poems, facts, jokes, youtube videos etc to Virtual Newquay U3A to add to the blog.
Coronavirus crisis 15th March 2020
- April, May and June General Meetings have been cancelled, which means our AGM held in May will be postponed until later in the year.
- Several Group Leaders have temporarily cancelled their events. Please check with group leaders that the scheduled events are still going ahead.
- U3A Day celebrations will not go ahead on June 3rd 2020 but we hope to resurrect our plans to celebrate the day in 2021.
- Please read the statement made by our Secretary, John Woodason, about the Coronavirus crisis and also Comments from our Chairman, Gret Woodason.
Unfortunately, due to the Coronavirus crisis Newquay's U3A Day planned event for June 3rd 2020 has been cancelled. We hope to celebrate this event in 2021.
The very first national U3A Day – celebrating the learning, activity and fun that happens every day in U3As across the country – will now not take place on Wednesday 3 June 2020. We may do it at a later date, or leave it until next year.
• raise the profile of our U3A so, collectively, there is more awareness
• help challenge negative perceptions of older adults
• invite other Third Agers to learn how U3A supports the lives of retired people
We have a Task Group of committee and non-committee members who have been investigating various different options. On the day we are planning to use the blue and yellow Newquay Land Train to advertise U3A, and our members will be active in the centre of Newquay from the Lighthouse Cinema and Piazza, all along Bank Street as far as the library, operating from 10am until 4pm. Our plan is to set up several stations along the route to meet and talk to people, and hand out leaflets about U3A. The press and radio stations etc will be invited. We would like as many of our members as possible to volunteer to help. We would need about 30 to 40 people on the day. More details will be announced next month.
Please email the Committee if you have any ideas for things we could do or would like to volunteer to take part in the day's celebrations.
When you renew your Newquay U3A membership, or when you join Newquay U3A, think about signing up for the U3A magazine "Third Age Matters" (TAM). There are lots of interesting articles, holiday offers, members letters, tips for third-agers and a page of brain games. Ask our Committee at our next General Meeting and we'll show you some examples. LearnLaughLive
Notes taken at January's General Meeting can be read here Meeting 2020 01
Notes taken at February's General Meeting can be read here Meeting 2020 02
Notes taken at March's General Meeting can be read here Meeting 2020 03
- French Conversation and Bird Watching started in November.
- Pub Games and Social to meet up and play pub games started December.
- Murder Mystery Games started January.
- Amateur Musicians If you would be interested in joining an Amateur Musicians Group please email the Amateur Musicians group coordinator.
- Fishing If you would be interested in joining a Fishing Group please email the Fishing group coordinator.
- If you would like to start a new group please ring or email David Stevens, the Groups Coordinator 07552 618800
JOIN NEWQUAY U3A at our General Meeting on the second Tuesday of every month except August at the Lane Theatre, Newquay TR8 4PX. Annual Membership is only £15 (or £10 from October to March inc). Visitors can have a taster for £1.50. Join other members for free refreshments and a natter in the Green Room from 10:15am before our speaker at 11am in the auditorium.
SLIDESHOW Please remember that David Stevens runs a slideshow of photos of our recent group events in the auditorium from 10:30am. Join him in there after your refreshments.
CAR PARK MARSHALS We desperately need car park marshals at the Lane Theatre. Volunteers to do this on a rota basis would be very welcome. We can provide hi-vis jackets.
We have a suggestions box situated near the notice board at our General Meetings. If you can think of anything that you would like to do in Newquay U3A or ways to improve our General Meetings, please put details of your idea down on paper and into the box or just use the Contact link to email us. We will endeavour to carry out your wishes.
MINUTES from our General Meetings are displayed on the notice board at General Meetings.
Please let the Committee know if anyone has a special birthday this year so that a card can be sent.
Our latest newsletters can be seen by clicking on the relevant link on this page.
Our latest Newsletter is also available at the General Meetings.
We need Volunteers
Newquay U3A is organised totally by volunteers, without whom there would be no Newquay U3A.
Our Committee are volunteers. Our Group Leaders are volunteers. Our General Meetings have to have organisers. There are people who organise the speakers, people who help to set up the rooms ready for the meeting, marshals in the car park, people who officiate at the sign in desk, people who make tea and coffee, people who introduce you to other people if you look lost, people who clear up afterwards. These people are all volunteers.
- We desperately need car park marshals at the Lane Theatre. Volunteers to do this on a rota basis would be very welcome.
- We can always do with some help to set up the rooms ready for the General Meeting at the Lane Theatre.
We are always grateful for any help from other volunteers. Skills learned in our working lives can be very useful in Newquay U3A. Using our skills to help others is good for the soul.
If you would like to volunteer to join the Committee, or to lead a new Interest Group, or to help out at General Meetings, please click on the "send a message" link on this page.
We need Articles and Photos
Let’s make our website more interesting. This will not only encourage new members to join but will also keep our existing members up to date with our recent activities. The items of interest below will also be useful to add to our next newsletter.
• Send us recent photos of your Newquay U3A group enjoying your group's interests
• Tell us where you’ve been recently with Newquay U3A and what you did when you were there
• Write about what Newquay U3A means to you
To send us an article or photos click the “send a message” link and we will send you instructions on how to send document files and photos to us. Please be aware that you must have obtained permission from the people in your photos to have the photos used on the website, the blog and/or Facebook. If you are a photographer and do not want your photos copied and used by other entities, please add a watermark to your photo.
Facebook and Twitter
We have a Newquay U3A Facebook Page, where you can see photos and reviews of some of our activities and our speakers. Please click on the link or seach @NewquayU3A. If you have any photos you would like to send us of your U3A events please send an email to %Webmaster% for instructions on how to do that. Please make sure that you have permission from anyone clearly shown in the photo for their picture to go on Facebook. Similarly we also "tweet" about some of our events on Twitter