Eng, Tech & Transport
This special interest group covers a wide range of topics within the fields of Engineering, Technology & Transport. The main aim of the ETT Group is to be accessible, informative and of interest to all those who are perhaps slightly more technically minded. It is generally a mix of stimulating subject matter plus sufficient engineering detail to be educational.
The ETT Group holds regular Monthly Meetings interspersed with around 2–3 Visits per Year to relevant places of interest. At present, the ETT Group Meetings are intended to cover a broad range of topics that includes:-
• Engineering Asset Infrastructure (Civil, Mechanical & Electrical Engineering, Utilities, Petrochemical) - Buildings, bridges, tunnels, utilities, pumping stations and large-scale projects (e.g. cross rail, channel tunnel, Millau bridge, Thames bridges).
• IT Technologies - Computers, software programs, tablets, apps and gadgets.
• Application of Technology - In crime, sport, and the environment and in manufacture.
• New Technologies – Looking ahead and science breakthroughs.
• History of Technologies - How things work or have developed, notable engineers (e.g. Brunel),
• Important Technical Discoveries - Computers, Enigma Machine, Medical Diagnostics.
• Materials and Machines – Adhesives, Plastics, Bearings, Clocks and Mechanisms.
• Road - Vintage cars, car development, racing cars, model cars, traction engines, roads and traffic management.
• Rail - Heritage Railways, Steam Locomotives, Signalling, Modern Trains, London Underground, Trams, Miniature and Model Railways.
• Air - Military planes, domestic planes, supersonic planes (Concorde), Airports, Air Traffic Control, hot air balloons, helicopters, plane maintenance and model planes.
• Water - Flood prevention, Sailing ships, Royal Navy, canals / barges, rowing, cruise liners and freight handling, submarines.
• Space – Rockets, Telescopes, Universe, Satellites and Earth Observation.
The ETT Group Meetings are held on the First Tuesday of every Month at Christ Church, Quoiting Square, 18 Oxford Street, Marlow SL7 2NL, commencing at 2.00pm. There is a small charge of £2.00 per person per meeting to cover room hire and other running costs (i.e. refreshments). Any organized trips are separately priced.
In addition to the ETT Monthly Meetings, we also organize trips to places of interest including ‘Brooklands Museum’, RAF WWII Bunker, Bletchley Park, Royal Navy Submarine Exhibition and Farnborough Airport.
For further information please click the attached link.