Topics from last year - 2020-2021
What did the Philosophy Group Look at in the last year 2020-2021?
- The Stoics – What did they advocate? + Seneca’s letters
- Adding Values to Capitalism – a critic of how capitalism is currently working, or not, for people and the planet. Using the book ‘The Value of Everything’ by Marianna Mazzucato as a starting point.
- Free Speech- The moral limits of free speech.
- Post-modernism – Is there any objectivity to morality or truth? Some of Michel Foucault’s philosophy.
- Woke- Is wokeness advancing social justice or repressing freedom of thought and speech?
- Wealth Tax – We had a debate on the subject. Is this a way of dealing with intergenerational unfairness and inequality or would it kill enterprise and economic growth?
- Race – Has colonialism left us with deep seated prejudices which require special measures to overcome or do quotas and positive-discrimination generate resentment?
- Moralities of Everyday Life - How can we explain kindness and cruelty? Where does our sense of right and wrong come from? Why do people so often disagree about moral issues? We did a short, free online course for 4 weeks looking at these issues