Many learning resources are available to assist U3A members and especially leaders and prospective leaders in setting up new groups and in expanding their groups’ learning activities. The following links offer some excellent learning resources that may be useful:
- Local Authority Day and Evening classes
- University of Edinburgh Office of Lifelong Learning now offers Languages and Art School courses
- Heriot Watt short courses
- University of Edinburgh Lecture Programme offering a comprehensive series of lectures including science, medicine etc.
- National Galleries of Scotland Lectures
- Royal Society of Edinburgh
- National Library of Scotland
- Centre on Constitutional Change: based in Edinburgh, it offers talks and seminars the UK’s changing constitutional relationships.
- Morningside Justice & Peace Group: based in Edinburgh. Weekly talks Wednesday mornings covering a wide range of topics many of which will be of interest to U3A members.
- Fairfield Museum, Govan: offering weekly talks for those with an interest in industrial history.
Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCS)
Helping with Disabilities
U3APlus operates within the U3A umbrella, offering help, support and advice to regional U3A organisations to ensure that all their members can access the informal learning and the many activities in their U3As, regardless of impairment or disability.
Helping with Research
From time to time we get requests from researchers who are looking for older people as subjects to assist with their research. The current requests are listed below. If you are interested, please contact the researchers direct.
- [Current as at Jun 2019] Edinburgh University Department of Psychology has a volunteer panel which is open to adults of all ages. Volunteers register on our website and receive email invitations to take part in research studies. This typically involves completing a questionnaire or some tests of mental ability. Some studies are completed online and some in person at the Psychology building on George Square. Panel members can take part in studies on a wide range of topics, including language, memory, perception, personality and ageing processes. See https://volunteer.ppls.ed.ac.uk/.
- [Current as at May 2018] Edinburgh Napier University - Readers, Scribes and Invigilators: The University Inclusion and Well-Being Team are looking to recruit casual staff for scribe and reading duties during exams. If you are interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org. They are not currently recruiting for invigilators, but you can join their waiting list by emailing email@example.com.
- [Current as at 1 Mar 2018] A chance to earn some money and in the process assist the Heriot Watt University. Exam time is coming soon and they are hoping to recruit examination invigilators, scribers and readers on their payroll. The dates for training the invigilators is next week on the 6th and 8th of March at the HWU campus. Please contact Davinia Leslie (0131 451 3786) email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download free eBooks and textbooks from bookboon.com