|Monthly Meeting: Wednesday 17 October 2018 - 10.30am|
|Venue: Beccles Public Hall|
|Speaker: Cathy Small - Protecting against Fraud|
|Admission: Free to Members - Guests: £2.50|
Monthly meetings take place on the 3rd Wednesday of each month in The Public Hall in Smallgate, Beccles. Doors open at 9.45am and refreshments are served until 10.20am. The meeting is called to order at 10.30am when the Chairperson carries out any Business. This is followed by a Guest Speaker. For more information on the varied programme of talks please visit Monthly Talk
Monthly Meeting 19 September 2018
The Chair, Graham Jermyn opened the September monthly meeting by welcoming nearly 100 members, guests and 5 new members.
- He went on to mention that the Convenors lunch took place in the Public Hall on 7th September between 1pm and 3pm with nearly 50 convenors, co-convenors and “responsible people in attendance. The buffet from Sam’s in Lowestoft was well received and this was followed up with an entertaining presentation from the Vice Chair, Paul Gurbutt, on the legal issues and resulting policies that we all need to be aware of. The opportunity was taken to introduce the new Group Support Committee Members and for questions to be asked.
- A working group is currently looking at Events and how we meet members needs going forward. If anyone has any suggestions regarding trips, then please let a a committee member know.
- The Stardust trip on 7th September turned out to be eventful as the engines on the boat stopped shortly after leaving the Wherry in Oulton Broad for the return trip. The boat then drifted across the Braod towards the area known as Deadman’s Corner. After a slightly nervous couple of hours, the coastguard and fire service arrived and took control and helped everyone off the boat. The U3A members were all fine after their adventure and particularly enjoyed the firefighters.
- There are vacancies on the U3A exclusive Earsham Hall tour on 25th September at a price of £20.50 including afternoon tea. Please contact Irene if you are interested.
- The Latin Group has started so if anyone else is interested then contact the Convenor.
- Graham concluded by thanking the refreshments group for once again looking after teas, coffees and biscuits to those attending the meeting before passing on to John Gage, Convenor of the Jazz Appreciation Group to say a few words and invite people along to the Group.
Wed 17th October 2018:- Cathy Small - Protecting against Fraud
Wed 21 November 2018:- Richard Hughes from the Assembly House in Norwich - A Career in the Hospitality Industry
Wed 19 December 2018:- Christmas Meeting
Wed 16 January 2019:- Dr Stephen Ashworth - Lasers - how they work
Wed 20 February 2019:- Graham Higgins - Tales from the Bench - a magistrate reviews his work
Wed 20 March 2019:- Sally Dearman - Women CAN fly - a female pilot talks of her experiences