|Monthly Meeting: Wednesday 17 October 2018 - 10.30am|
|Venue: Beccles Public Hall|
|Speaker: Cathy Small - Protecting against Fraud|
|Admission: Free to Members - Guests: £2.50|
Monthly Meeting 19 September 2018
The Chair, Graham Jermyn opened the September monthly meeting by welcoming nearly 100 members, guests and 5 new members.
- He went on to mention that the Convenors lunch took place in the Public Hall on 7th September between 1pm and 3pm with nearly 50 convenors, co-convenors and “responsible people in attendance. The buffet from Sam’s in Lowestoft was well received and this was followed up with an entertaining presentation from the Vice Chair, Paul Gurbutt, on the legal issues and resulting policies that we all need to be aware of. The opportunity was taken to introduce the new Group Support Committee Members and for questions to be asked.
- A working group is currently looking at Events and how we meet members needs going forward. If anyone has any suggestions regarding trips, then please let a a committee member know.
- The Stardust trip on 7th September turned out to be eventful as the engines on the boat stopped shortly after leaving the Wherry in Oulton Broad for the return trip. The boat then drifted across the Braod towards the area known as Deadman’s Corner. After a slightly nervous couple of hours, the coastguard and fire service arrived and took control and helped everyone off the boat. The U3A members were all fine after their adventure and particularly enjoyed the firefighters.
- There are vacancies on the U3A exclusive Earsham Hall tour on 25th September at a price of £20.50 including afternoon tea. Please contact Irene if you are interested.
- The Latin Group has started so if anyone else is interested then contact the Convenor.
- Graham concluded by thanking the refreshments group for once again looking after teas, coffees and biscuits to those attending the meeting before passing on to John Gage, Convenor of the Jazz Appreciation Group to say a few words and invite people along to the Group.
Please refer to Monthly Meetings to read the minutes of older meetings.
Adrian Brown is a British conductor with an outstanding national and international reputation. Adrian was an enthusiastic presenter who couldn’t help but convey his passion for music and we were all fascinated to hear him talk about his life as a conductor at the September U3A meeting.
Adrian was educated at Northgate Grammar School for Boys in Ipswich, Suffolk, and was a pupil of the conductor Sir Adrian Boult. After graduating from the Royal Academy of Music in London, he studied intensively with Sir Adrian for some years. Please go to Monthly Talks to read more about Adrian Brown
Details of the next concert are:
Saturday 6th October 2018 @ 7.30pm
Trinity Methodist Church, Lowestoft
Conductor: Adrian Brown
Leaders: David Adelson and Liz Skinner
Beethoven Overture - King Stephen
Dvořák Violin Concerto
Soloist: Charlotte Rowan
Mendelssohn Symphony No 3 "Scottish"
Where would you like to go? Would you like us to organise a trip next year? Just send your suggestions to Programme Secretary Mu Gurbutt. We can’t promise it will be on the programme, but we’ll certainly consider it. To see a list of suggested visits for next year, please go to Outings
Howdy pardners!! If you are looking for something fun to do during the dreary winter months, Line Dancing might be for you so why not give it a go. The next meeting of the Thursday group will be:
- Thursday 27th September also 9.30 until 12 noon
Summer Rowing 2018 - Summer rowing now takes places on Friday morning from 10am to 12 noon until the end of October 2018.