Beccles

Latest News

Special Members Only Meeting+: Wednesday 18 July 2018 - 10.30am
Venue: Beccles Public Hall
Speaker:Andrew Sankey-Smith - Gertrude Jekyll and her gardens
Admission: Free to Members - Guests: £2.50

+ Guests are welcome to attend the Monthly Talk following the meeting

Thank you Susan and Peter Shannon

On behalf of all our past and present members, please join me in saying a huge THANK YOU to Susan and Peter Shannon for all their hard work and dedication to establish Beccles U3A. At the AGM in June, outgoing Chairman and Business Secretary, Peter and Susan were presented with this wonderful card and a bowl. Gifts were also presented to Jena Mason, Irene Squirrell and Julia Deary (apologies for the earlier mis-spelling) who have been steadfast members of the committee and set aside hours of their time to ensure that Beccles U3A is the vibrant, lively group that it is.

Please read the wonderful poem inscribed on their card Peter & Susan\'s Leaving Poem

Special Meeting - 18th July 2018

Members are invited to attend a Special Meeting.

The purpose of this meeting is for Executive Committee Members, who have been nominated for an Officer role, to be voted into position by those members attending the meeting.

The meeting will be on Wednesday 18th July at 10.30am at Beccles Public Hall.

This will be just before the start of July Beccles U3A Monthly Meeting.

Agenda

1 Election of Officers

  • Chairman
  • Vice Chairman
  • Business Secretary
  • Treasurer

The Special Meeting is for Beccles U3A members only

Guests can join the Monthly Meeting following the end of the Special Meeting

AGM - 20 June 2018

  • The Chair welcomed 102 members to the AGM (The required quorum is 10% of membership which is currently 630 members)
  • The minutes of the AGM will be published soon in draft and will be subject to approval at the 2019 AGM
  • Five new committee members were elected replacing those five who retired after completing their three year term
  • The Committee will meet and discuss the roles required in the Executive. Details of the new structure will be announced when all is confirmed
  • Graham Jermyn (Vice Chair) gave a vote of thanks to those members who are retiring from the Executive Committee, Peter and Susan Shannon, Jena Mason, Irene Squirrell and Julia Deary
  • All the retiring members were presented with a commemorative gift in recognition of their work and service for Beccles U3A

Mu Gurbutt (Speaker Secretary) introduced the June Speaker Doreen Reed.

Monthly Talk 20 June 2018: Doreen Reed Stories and Poetry

Doreen Reed Doreen Reed proved to be the perfect antidote to the more serious business of the U3A Annual General Meeting in June. As an entertainer, she has enchanted many audiences throughout the UK with her homespun amusing poems & tales of everyday life.

If you remember the 50’s and 60’s you appreciate her subtle humour.

To read Doreen's fabulous poem Mean Dean go to Monthly Talk

Outings and Holidays

Orwell Lady Boatrip - 1 August 2018 - The boat trip is full, however there are plenty of seats on the coach, so if you want a day out in Ipswich, please let Irene know

For more information on the outings planned for 2018, please go to Outings and Holidays

Group News

Exciting New Groups News

Beginners Italian 2 - Will meet in the Friends meeting house on the first and third Mondays of the month at 2pm.

Latin - The first meeting will be in the small meeting room in the library on 13th September from 2-4 pm. Thereafter they will meet 2nd & 4th Thursday of the month

Archaeology - The first meeting has not been arranged yet. They intend to meet monthly on either a Wednesday or a Friday

Computer Confidence There is a significant demand for a group to be sent up to help members find their way around their computers. The difficulty has always been finding a convenor. Is there anyone out there who perhaps is a retired.I.T. technician or teacher who can help set this group up? If you do not wish to commit to fortnightly attendance, but would be willing to attend the first few meetings to help get this group off the ground, please contact the Paul Gurbutt at Interest Groups Co-Ordinator

Wine Appreciation - This had held its first meeting. It will meet on the 2nd Friday of each month is members houses 7.30pm - 9.30pm

Cribbage - This will meet in members houses

Yoga and Meditation - Even though more than 20 people have registered an interest, this has not started yet. There is no one qualified in those interested so advice is being sought from National Office about running such a group without a qualified person present. If it is not possible to run such a group then consideration will be given to an exercise group

Beer Appreciation - This has not met yet. Those who have registered an interest will be contacted

Chess This has yet to meet. This who have registered an interest are being contacted.