TO JOIN OUR U3A - A FEW RULES:
WHEN AND WHERE? You can join our U3A at any time of the year, either at a monthly meeting or by directly contacting our Membership Secretary.
HOW MUCH? Joining involves paying an annual subscription, which for 2020-2021 is £10, plus £1 for a talks meeting and 30p for meetings held in private houses. The cost of meetings in hired halls varies, depending on the hire fee of the hall and the number of members in the Group. A reduced annual subscription of £5 applies for new members from 1st September. This reduced membership also applies to past members returning to the U3A providing they have not attended any U3A group or monthly meeting since their membership expired. It is an insurance requirement that all members of groups are U3A members. This requirement will be relaxed for non members who wish to try out a group before joining our U3A, providing permission has been obtained from the group leader. Prospective members are allowed 2 such taster sessions after which they must join if they wish to continue attending our U3A meetings.
Policy on accommodating members from other U3As
Members of other U3As can join one or more of our learning groups, subject to availability and with our own members generally being given preference.
Where there is a reciprocal arrangement, as with U3As in the Avalon Network, the visiting member will not pay our annual subscription and will only pay costs associated with any particular learning group. The member should be asked to show his/her membership card and his/her U3A noted.
The Avalon Network comprises the following U3As:
Chard, Ilminster & District, Crewkerne, Yeovil, Somerton, Street & Glastonbury and Camelot (Castle Cary).
Where there is no reciprocal agreement, (as with Taunton, Lyme Regis or Honiton U3As for example) the visiting member may join as an Associate Member. Again, group leaders would need to have sight of their membership card and a note taken of their U3A.
MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
For 2020-2021, only brand new members are required to fill in an application form. For members renewing, providing details have not changed, the act of renewing implies that the member is happy with the personal information held by the U3A. If details have changed then renewing members must complete a form. A membership application form may be downloaded here, 2020 - 21 U3A Application Form
The financial year starts on the 1st March at which point subs will be due for the coming year. You can renew your membership anytime from then up to the beginning of June. After that if you want to remain a member it will be a matter of rejoining rather than renewing.
Just to confirm as promised, the 2020 U3A membership renewal will remain at £10 as agreed at the last AGM. This amount is not discounted. However at the next AGM it is proposed to increase the amount back to probably £14 for 2021 renewals.
Methods of payment for renewing
- By cash either at the monthly meeting or given to your group leader.
- By cheque either at the monthly meeting or given to your group leader. Cheques may also be forwarded to Rev Marion Field, 46 Old Town, Chard, Somerset TA20 2BE, together with your completed membership form. PLEASE ENCLOSE A STAMPED ADDRESSED ENVELOPE for the return of a membership card. Cheques for membership should be made payable to Chard, Ilminster & District U3A.
- On-line using the Beacon Renewal Payments Link. This method is available during the renewal window from 1st February to 1st June. Click here to the Members portal to renew your membership. Payment may be made using a debit or credit card so have them handy. Also if you have your own PayPal account then Payment may be made using that. It is a straightforward process but if necessary help is available at How to renew your membership online.
NEW MEMBERS PAYMENT
Payment should be accompanied by a completed 2020 - 21 U3A Application Form
Methods of payment for joining
- By cash at the monthly meeting
- By cheque either at the monthly meeting or cheques can be forwarded to Rev Marion Field, 46 Old Town, Chard, Somerset TA20 2BE. PLEASE ENCLOSE A STAMPED ADDRESSED ENVELOPE for the return of a membership card. Cheques for membership should be made payable to Chard, Ilminster & District U3A.