Gardening - Kathleen Smith.
The Wyre U3A Garden Group has been running, on the 3rd Wednesday afternoon, from 2011. Over the years we have done many things
One of these being holding meetings in members' homes. This, not only, helps the host to get advice about their garden but everyone finds out something they didn't know before.
We have been to private gardens when they have been open for charity funding. Some of these visits have been exceptional and have inspired us to try new ideas in planning future projects.
Garden centre visits have been made to allow us to see which plants are available at different times in the year. Learning about how tastes have changed over the years. We have been lucky to have been guided around some with, very knowledgeable staff.
One of the best things, about this group, is the friendly atmosphere and the willingness to share, not only knowledge, but plants as well.
A BRIEF DIARY OF ACTIVITIES FOR 2020
These activities have been suggested by members of the group.
• Meeting dates are always on the 3rd Wednesday of each month and, if at a local place, we meet at 1pm.
• February 19th – Scorton Picnic Site for a snowdrop walk. Also whilst in the area, there are some good garden centres to explore. Then we will go to the Wyresdale Apple Store. I haven’t been there but was told it is quite nice. Opportunities are also available to visit The Barn, Robinsons Giant Vegetables, Cutt’s Lane Nursery and Barton Grange. Meet at the picnic site for 1pm set off.
• March 18th - Plant Swap. Today we will be at a group member’s home, on Lamb’s Lane, with the opportunity to explore their garden, share ideas and update everyone on things you have done. Addresses given when you ask.
• April 17th – This is a day for taking part is the refurbishment of Thornton Railway Station. The volunteers, who have been working hard to re-establish the rail link to Fleetwood from Poulton-le-Fylde, are not gardeners. So, if you are up for it, we are needed to make the small planting areas an addition to the hard work they have done. There is no water supply for the gardens so we would like donations of rockery plans, such as sedums etc. Any ornamental stones would also help. I hope we can make that difference.
• May 20th – Get your garden in full bloom. It is our annual Jane Lane Nursery trip. This is a very good place to buy well kept bedding plants at very reasonable prices.
• June 17th – Hosted by a member. Plant swap, share and discussion about problems and successes in our gardens. We will have the opportunity to explore their garden and share ideas and update everyone on things you have done. Addresses given when you ask
• July 15th – This is the trip out we had to book a full year in advance. This is the Casa Lago, 1 Woodlands Park, Whalley, BB7 9AU. This is part of the NGS and consists of hints of the Far East, Italy and England. Bosai trees, succulent collections, olives, alpine displays, black limestone wall, hostas, bamboos and oak pergolas. I can’t wait to go there.
• August 19th – A member’s hosting.
• September 16th – This date should be good for a day trip. I will be happy to book a coach, as long as enough members will join in. This would entail an earlier start of course. There is a new garden opening in Worsely, and it is rated as one of the “to do” for gardeners. Will see how much interest is shown.
• October 21st – Hoping to have a talk from Craig at the Garden Place.
• November 18th – Christmas wreath/display making. Addresses given when you ask.
• December 18th – Christmas get together.
For further information on the groups or to start a new group please use the Contact page 'Information on Interest Groups'