Long Cycling & Ultra Cycling Groups
General Points for both Groups
Long Cycling & Ultra Cycling Groups
Latest as @ 23rd June 2021
HM Government guidelines from 17th May 2021 allow up to 30 people to meet outdoors. However, in line with guidance to organised groups, Cycling UK advises that group rides are limited to no more than 15 people. Therefore, the U3A Long & Ultra Cycling Groups will continue with rides of up to 15 persons. If numbers arise above 15 the groups will be split appropriately. Each rider must conform to the current Government COVID guidelines, especially in regard to social distancing and their own COVID health and isolate themselves should they come into contact with anyone who has COVID. It is recommended that each rider take a lateral COVID flow test once a week. A programme for both Long & Ultra Groups is now published and shown below.
The Group rides restarted on 28th March 2021 following the relaxing of Government COVID 19 restrictions. During the period from the start of lockdowns 1, 2 and 3 up to 28th March 2021 the Groups have been combined and ridden on an adhoc weekly basis. During the Lockdown period's riders would have been riding solo or whatever the prevailing guidelines were in place.
General guidelines for Groups are:
1. The meeting point for both groups is at the café located on Grandstand Road WR1 3EJ (close to the viaduct) on alternate Monday mornings at 9:30 - unless otherwise notified of a different start point/time. The schedule of rides operates the current shortened U3A year from January to August 2021.
2. The groups are open to any U3A member who is of good health and fitness that is capable of cycling a distance of 25 to 45 miles at an average pace of up to 12 mph. If any new members wish to have a trial ride to assist in their decision on which group to join, then they are welcome to join a ride.
3. We sometimes have an "out and about" ride, where we start from a different location away from Worcester. On those occasions you will need to transport your bike to the start - so if you have a bike rack for your car so much the better. If you are able to take more than one bike plus rider, let the nominated ride leader know!
4. Rides are mainly on public roads and the back lanes of Worcestershire and Herefordshire. Members of the group are encouraged to act as ride leaders and to try and explore new routes around Worcester.
5. The rider’s bike must be well maintained and roadworthy with sufficient on-board tools and spares to fix minor jobs, such as a puncture, whilst out and about. The appropriate safety helmet and bright cycling clothing is also considered essential.
6. The Group Leaders will inform members of each Group as to who is the nominated Ride Leader in good time and will be published on the U3A website.
7. We also stop towards the end of the rides for a refreshment break and a natter! The refreshment stop is subject to current COVID guidelines.
8. Each rider must have a mask and hand sanitiser available whilst on the rides.
Long Cycle Group Leader and Contact: Jeff Clayton
Welcome! Our rides are approximately 25-35 miles in length and the pace is 10-12 mph, but we keep together as a group. Occasionally the distance may be as much as 40 miles. The average riders per ride are about 12. These rides alternate with the Ultra Group, however, it would be reasonable to expect that any rider is able to participate in the rides of both groups.
Ultra Cycle Group Leader and Contact: Steve Smith
Welcome! Our rides are approximately 35 - 45 miles in length and the pace is 12-14 mph, but we keep together as a group. Occasionally the distance may be as much as 50 miles or during the summertime up to 100 miles. The rides will be every fortnight from 28th March 2021 up to the end of August 2021. The average riders per ride are 8! The Ultra Group, are in training for the Ton in Twenty One (100 mile ride) on 21st June 2021. The plan is for a series of increasing mileage training rides over the preceding months culminating in a 100 mile ride on Mid-Summers Day! Update - the 100 mile ride was completed successfully by 9 riders on 21st June 2021
|Dates for your Diary|
|Mon Aug 2nd||Ultra Ride Leader - Cyril|
|Mon Aug 9th||Long Ride Leader - Gordon|
|Mon Aug 16th||Ultra Ride Leader - Steve S.|
|Mon Aug 23rd||Long Ride Leader - Peter|
|Mon Aug 30th||Ultra Ride Leader - David|