Long Cycling & Ultra Cycling Groups
General Points for both LONG & ULTRA Groups
COVID Update as @ 18th September 2021
While restrictions are easing across the UK, the virus is still very much in circulation so U3A & Cycling UK encourages people to cycle but to do so in a manner which minimises risk to themselves and others from it. Cyclists should use their common sense: for example, by keeping an eye on government guidance around participating in and organising cycling activities and events and by maintaining good hygiene practices and not cycling with others if feeling unwell or told to self-isolate.
There are no longer any restrictions or set numbers of people who may gather indoors or outside. However, Cycling UK advises that limiting group rides to a maximum of 15 is sensible and generally considered best practice anyway. If numbers, for any U3A ride arise above 15, the groups will be split appropriately.
Certain other recommendations will also still apply as coronavirus continues to circulate in the population. For example, face coverings should still be worn in crowded settings, though not while exercising, and participants are strongly advised to carry out a self-assessment of symptoms before attending a ride and should definitely not attend if unwell or contacted by NHS Test and Trace and told to self-isolate.
A programme for both Long & Ultra Groups is now published and shown below up to 31st January 2022. The programme will updated towards the end of the year.
General guidelines for Groups are:
1. The meeting point for both groups is at the café located on Grandstand Road WR1 3EJ (close to the viaduct) on alternate Monday mornings at 8:30 (Summer time) or 9:30 (Winter time) - unless otherwise notified of a different start point/time.
2. The groups are open to any U3A member who is of good health and fitness that is capable of cycling a distance of 25 to 45 miles at an average pace of up to 12 mph. If any new members wish to have a trial ride to assist in their decision on which group to join, then they are welcome to join a ride.
3. We sometimes have an "out and about" ride, where we start from a different location away from Worcester. On those occasions you will need to transport your bike to the start - so if you have a bike rack for your car so much the better. If you are able to take more than one bike plus rider, let the nominated ride leader know!
4. Rides are mainly on public roads and the back lanes of Worcestershire, Herefordshire & Gloucestershire. We ride all sorts of bike - hybrids, well loved ones from our younger days, carbon fibre road bikes, even the occasional mountain bike (thinner, road type tyres recommended). A wide range of gears is recommended as some of the hills round here are pretty steep! Members of the group are encouraged to act as ride leaders and to try and explore new routes around Worcester.
5. The rider’s bike must be well maintained and roadworthy with sufficient on-board tools and spares to fix minor jobs, such as a puncture, whilst out and about. The appropriate safety helmet and bright cycling clothing is also considered essential.
6. The Group Leaders will inform members of each Group as to who is the nominated Ride Leader in good time and will be published on the U3A website.
7. We also stop towards the end of the rides for a refreshment break and a natter! The refreshment stop is subject to current COVID guidelines.
8. Each rider should have a mask and hand sanitiser available whilst on the rides.
Long Cycle Group Leader and Contact: Jeff Clayton
Welcome! Our rides are approximately 25-35 miles in length and the pace is 10-12 mph, but we keep together as a group. Occasionally the distance may be as much as 40 miles. The average riders per ride are about 12. These rides alternate with the Ultra Group, however, it would be reasonable to expect that any rider is able to participate in the rides of both groups.
Ultra Cycle Group Leader and Contact: Steve Smith
Welcome! We are a very informal subgroup of the Long Cycle Group with the same membership. The rides are on Mondays and alternate with the main Long group. They are in the range 35 - 50 miles in length and the pace is 10-14 mph, but we keep together as a group - nobody gets dropped. Rider numbers average around 8 per ride. We like to set ourselves challenges and aim to complete these as a group. For example, we have had targets to ride 500 miles in a month or to ride 100 miles in a day. We build up to these challenges through a series of rides increasing in length and/or difficulty gradually, sometimes as a second ride in a week. The aim is very much to help each other achieve the shared goal.
|Dates for your Diary|
|Mon Oct 25th||Ultra Ride Leader - Steve S.|
|Mon Nov 1st||Long Ride Leader - Alex|
|Mon Nov 8th||Ultra Ride Leader - David|
|Mon Nov 15th||Long Ride Leader - Peter|
|Mon Nov 22nd||Ultra Ride Leader - Richard D.|
|Mon Nov 29th||Long Ride Leader - TBC|
|Mon Dec 6th||Ultra Ride Leader - Mike W|
|Mon Dec 13th||Long Ride Leader - William C.|
|Mon Dec 20th||Ultra Ride Leader - Steve W.|
|Mon Dec 27th||Long Ride Leader - Jeff|
|Mon Jan 3rd 2022||Ultra Ride Leader - Rod|
|Mon Jan 10th 2022||Long Ride Leader - John V.|
|Mon Jan 17th 2022||Ultra Ride Leader - David H.|
|Mon Jan 24th 2022||Long Ride Leader - Gordon|
|Mon Jan 31st 2022||Ultra Ride Leader - Cyril|