LEARN, LAUGH and LIVE!
Retired? Semi-Retired? Love Learning and having fun? Like making new friends?
Hello and welcome to the White Cliffs Country U3A website.
My name is Jill Jones and I am the Chair of this branch of the U3A.
We hope to offer an exciting year of events, talks, courses, coffee mornings and day trips to make your retirement fun. If you’re retired or semi-retired and have a love of learning, making new friends or just enjoying yourself, then please read on.
Just a few points of general information about U3A, the links will provide further information:
- The U3A has over 1000 branches across the country.
- The White Cliffs Country branch of the U3A covers Deal, Dover, Sandwich and all nearby outlying villages.
- We have currently in excess of 400 members.
- The U3A is run by the members, for the members, sharing our knowledge and interests.
- There’s a full Programme of Events. Something is happening at a venue near you at least twice a month. Full details can be found on this website under EVENTS
- We have Structured Learning Groups (SLGs) which are courses, led by members, usually lasting one or two terms GROUPS
- For those who like a less formal style of organisation, we have Interest Groups (SIGs) on a variety of subjects, often held in members' homes, with members as the course leaders; again, there’s an impressive list of activities on offer SIGs.
Hopefully the details above will have given you an idea of what your local U3A has to offer. You are also welcome to start a group on your own specialist subject or interest.
There is an annual membership fee of £14.00, which gives you free access to all the monthly talks and coffee mornings. It also gives you the chance to join a learning or special interest group/s. The costs, if any, are mentioned in the links above.
Each year, normally in March, we hold a Spring Lunch, open to all members, and in June an Annual General Meeting, where the Executive Committee report back on events, and discuss what’s planned for the coming year. It’s also an ideal opportunity for members to put themselves forward to either become a member of the Committee, or volunteer to help with serving teas and coffees at monthly events or becoming a 'Meet and Greeter'. We are firm believers that there’s a wealth of talent in our membership!
Please take the time to explore this website and we hope to welcome you as a member soon. The U3A motto is 'Learn, Laugh and Live' - and that's what we do!