Welcome to the walking group
We hope you will find this a friendly, informal group and have lots of fun exploring the local countryside with us. To begin with we have mainly focused on easy local walks ranging from 4-6 miles. In time, we hope to develop a programme of walks of varying levels, which will appeal to all members in the group, regardless of ability. Walks are generally led by walking group members. It is not necessary to lead walks yourself in order to join us, but if you would like to lead a walk, or have suggestions for future walks please contact the walking group leader.
COVID-19 UPDATE. THE WALKING GROUP IS CURRENTLY SUSPENDED IN LINE WITH NATIONAL LOCKDOWN REGULATIONS
Details of official West Pennine Villages U3A walks will be listed on this walking group page and in Google calendar. Walk details will also be emailed to members in advance. This will include:
- date and start time of walk
- level of walk i.e easy, moderate, strenuous (click walk gradings for more information)
- length of route
- likely terrain, stiles/hills etc
- starting point and car park details (post code and/or grid ref:see Google calendar for postcode link to Google maps)
- whether dogs on lead are permitted
Things to consider if you are coming along to a walk:
- wear appropriate gear for the conditions, i.e walking shoes, boots, waterproofs
- bring adequate refreshment
- let the walk leader know if you have any relevant health issues
- bring your U3A card
- carry details of an emergency contact for yourself
Walks will be open to U3A members only and for health and safety purposes a register will be taken on the day. Non U3A members thinking of joining the U3A may attend a walk as their ‘one-off’ free taster event but they MUST identify themselves to the walk leader before the start of the walk and have registered in advance with the walk leader prior to attending.
Members organising an informal walk not listed in the programme are reminded that for insurance purposes, this will not be considered a U3A activity, even if other U3A members take part.
Please check the website the evening before a walk as weather conditions may result in a walk being cancelled or changed at short notice. Walk routes may be subject to change on the day, at the discretion of the walk leader.
If you are interested in joining us on our next walk, please click on the following link to contact the Walking group.