AGM Minutes 2017
Welling U3A AGM No: 4
Welling U3A Annual General Meeting
held on Wednesday 28th June 2017 at 14:00
St Stephen’s Church Hall, Deepdene Road, Welling DA16 3QL
Pauline Griffin – Chair
Irene Thorley – Vice Chair
Kathy Dersley – Secretary
Marlene Harmer – President
Laurence Harmer – Assistant to Treasurer
Tricia Covington – Membership Secretary
June Grout – Social Secretary
Pat Pitney - Newsletter/Group Co-Ordinator
Joy Merrett - Co-opted member
Janis Rudland - Co-opted member
1 The meeting was opened and everyone was welcomed by Pauline Griffin, Chair, who also gave apologies from those unable to attend.
2 The minutes of the 2016 AGM had previously been emailed to members and paper copies were available at the meeting. Members were given time to read the Minutes and they were accepted unanimously as a true record.
Proposed: Hilary Ward Seconded: Rima Mutimer
3 There were no matters arising.
4 Annual Report
The key points of the Chair’s report were:-
1. Welling U3A has gone from strength to strength and membership is now around 170 with an average of 100 members attending each month.
2. The second bank account for social activities has simplified payment for event and has formed part of the audit process.
3. The number of interest groups has increased significantly this year in response to a survey of members’ needs. New groups include Yoga and Meditation, both of which are run by paid professionals. The average attendance at group meetings, weekly, fortnightly or monthly is around 70%.
4. We have had a number of successful events including Quiz Nights and Socials.
5. Our wide variety of Speakers have kept us interested and informed.
6 The website is managed and updated by Marisa Miller.
7. Jill Thomas worked hard organizing theatre trips
8. We support the Air Ambulance as our named charity during 2016 and in January we nominated Demelza children’s hospice.
9. My thanks to all members of the Committee for their dedication and hard work this year.
10. We say goodbye to Janis and Joy and wish them well.
5 Financial Report
The financial reporting period has changed and now runs from April to March in line with the national financial year.
We are in a strong financial position. Members need to be aware that we pay £3 per head to Head Office.
Larry Harmer assists our treasurer Donald Jarvis.
We are audited by an external auditor who has made helpful suggestions to assist our book keeping
6 Standing Down of Existing Committee Members
The Committee stood down. Marlene Harmer, President, took over as Chair for the meeting.
7 Acceptance/Election of New Committee
The Officers were re- elected unanimously
Election of Officers:
Pauline Griffin - Chair
Irene Thorley - Vice chair
Kathy Dersely Secretary
Donald Jarvis Treasurer
The rest of the committee was elected unanimously
Di Almond and Kim Barlow were duly elected unopposed as new members of the committee.
Two co-opted members, Janis Rudland and Joy Merrett, retired from the committee and were presented with flowers.
8 The President gave thanks, on behalf of the membership, to the committee and the Chair. Flowers were presented to Pauline Griffin with thanks for working so tirelessly on behalf of Welling U3A.
A bouquet was presented to Marlene Harmer as thanks for her Presidential role.
9 Any Other Questions
A vote of thanks and admiration for the committee was given by Edna
10 Date, time and place of the next AGM
Wednesday 27th June 2018 at 14:00, St Stephen’s Church Hall.