Welcome to Watford Park U3A
* Preparations are afoot for the launch of Simple Membership
- This is a new administration system for Watford Park U3A to help manage memberships and payments and a lot more.
- Some guidance and instruction will be published on this website to help members get started, so be aware some new pages under construction may appear. You can ignore them for the time being until the launch is publicised.
- The move to Simple Membership means that members will increasingly need to use a computer to renew membership and see what is going on at Watford Park U3A.
- We are aware that some members may not feel entirely comfortable using a computer.
- We hope this Help with Computers page will help.
* The Watford Park U3A eNoticeboard is now available to read on this website.
- Go to the Events page and click on the WPU3A eNoticeboard link in the right hand column.
Educational and Creative Activities for older People no longer in full-time gainful employment
Are you retired or semi-retired? Do you want to keep your mind and body active and in doing so widen your social circle? If so then you've come to the right place!
Watford Park U3A was founded in October 2007 as a Registered Charity (No. 1123484) to enable older people no longer in full time employment to share many educational and creative activities, with resulting social benefits. U3A stands for "University of the Third Age". It is a self-help, self-funded organisation. We confer no degrees, but study and learn for the fun of it and no prior qualifications are required to become a member.
Today we have 460 members who enjoy 12 Monthly Meetings each year, with speakers on a wide range of subjects, as well as organising and participating in 50 Study Groups. You will find a list of our current Study Groups on the GROUPS Page and details of forthcoming activities on the EVENTS Page. More details can be found in our monthly Newsletter that is distributed to members.
If you are interested to join as a new member then click on How to join WPU3A (right hand column of this page). Unfortunately, our regular monthly meeting venue is very full. If we cannot offer you membership immediately we will put you on our waiting list and get back to you as soon as a place is available.
The Third Age Trust
Watford Park U3A is part of the nation-wide Third Age Trust which was founded in 1982 with the aim of providing a 'learning for life' structure, specifically for those in the third age and no longer in full-time employment. You can find out more about the Third Age Trust by clicking on U3A in the Menu bar at the top of this page or you can access their regular publications Third Age Matters and Sources via the link on the right hand side of this page. (For the link to work you will need to be registered on the Third Age Trust website and you may have to login).
The Third Age Trust also promotes research and provides opportunities for all members to become involved in research activities, often with members of other U3A groups. They publish a TAT Research Guide that explains this more fully.
It's never too late to learn! Join the 350,000+ members in the 1,000+ U3As throughout the UK today.