Meetings: 1st Thursday of each month, 2.00 - 4.30pm, starting from 7th Septmebr 2017
Venue: at the Study Group Leader's home. Please enquire for details.
Study Group Leader: Malcolm Robb (Click on the name to send an email). Phone 01923 464903.
Vacancies: We have limited vacancies. Contact the SGL if you are interested to take part.
What we do: The purpose of the "Exploring Melodies" music group is to listen to, research and discuss various elements of a wide variety of tuneful and melodic music genres, including
- Members' own favourite pieces and artists;
- The art of the arranger and how an arrangement can alter the character of a piece of music;
- Film music and film music composers;
- Music from the shows - American and British musicals;
- Television theme music and the composers (mainly from Britain & the US);
- Big Bands and popular vocalists in that genre;
- The Versatile guitar - a study of the use of this instrument from classical, through jazz, folk, Spanish influences, to heavy metal and pop;
- Light classical gems- often undiscovered light classical pieces;
- The great versatile orchestras of the world - James Last Orchestra, Mantovani Orchestra, Dutch Metropole Orchestra, Henry Mancini Orchestra, etc.
- Military and brass band music from the UK, the US and around Europe;
- Pop music over the decades- how popular music has evolved alongside changing music technology;
- The world's best broadcast music ensembles- discover and listen to some of the best staff orchestras and bands employed by radio and TV stations around the world.
And lots more!
Members are also encouraged to present musical topics of their choice if they wish.
Cost: Tea/coffee/biscuits/cake will be served half way through the meeting and the cost of this will be 50p per member per session.