Meetings: 4th Friday of each month, 11am
Venue: Meeting venues will include members’ homes (and especially gardens!), and other local venues in the Watford area. We may also arrange occasional visits to other relevant venues further afield. Each meeting venue will be agreed and notified to all Group members at least a month before the meeting.
Where necessary detailed directions to the meeting venue will be provided. We will aim to provide light refreshments (tea/coffee etc) at each meeting. Depending on the venue these will be provided by the hosting member, one or more volunteers (see below regarding costs), by the venue, or purchased at the venue by individual members.
Study Group Leader: Jerry England (Click on the name to send an email).
Vacancies: A membership limit of 20 has been set in order to keep meetings of the Group to a small enough size to enable them to be held in members’ homes. The Group is currently full. The SGL will run a waiting list when the Group is full, and is happy to help set up a further group if there is sufficient interest.
What we do: The focus of the Group is to share horticultural knowledge, and to learn from each other by providing practical tips and advice between Group members. With individual members’ agreement this may also include the swapping or giving of seeds and plants.
To this end the meetings may include any combination of:
• Formal or informal presentations by members
• Group discussions
• Visits to external venues
• Presentations and discussions led by external speakers
Each meeting agenda will be tailored to the specific subject matter being covered, but is likely to include at least some of the following:
• Registration/apologies for absence (all meetings)
• Introduction (all meetings)
• Specific requests for help from individual members, and discussion (see Group Rules below)
• General topics appropriate for the particular month/time of year (eg “Things to Do”)
• Suggestions for future meetings/topics
• Details of the next meeting (all meetings)
Visits When we undertake visits these will be geared toward the practical aspects of gardening and will therefore be different from those undertaken by the WPU3A Garden Group.
Costs and Membership Fees
We will endeavour to keep costs to a minimum by:
• Maximizing the use of email and minimizing the distribution of printed matter
• Maximizing the use of free meeting venues (including members’ homes)
Where costs for the Group are incurred by individual members, the general practice within Watford Park U3A is for these to be reimbursed as follows:
• Refreshments, 50p a head
• Printing from a computer, 5p a sheet
• Postage, photocpying etc, at cost
Costs to be incurred should be agreed in advance with the Study Group Leader or his/her Deputy/Assistant.
The Fee to cover these costs is set at £1 per member per meeting. The Study Group Leader will maintain a record of all income and expenditure, and will account for this to the Group, and to the WPU3A Treasurer, as required. The Fee will be reviewed from time to time and varied if necessary, and as agreed by Group members. Where specific costs are incurred (eg for trips) these will be agreed with members, and paid, in advance.
By joining the Group it is assumed that each member agrees:
• To respond promptly to emails, and to check for these regularly for any adjustments to meeting arrangements etc.
• If you do not have access to email, find an ‘email buddy’ who will provide you with the necessary Group information.
• To allow your email and phone details to be shared across the Group, on the understanding that if phone calls are necessary the use of landlines is preferred by most Group members.
• To notify the Study Group Leader as soon as possible if you cannot attend a meeting or visit.
• To print your own items that are sent to you for use in the Group meetings.
• To be an active participant in group discussions and activities.
• To provide as much notice as possible to the Study Group Leader if you have a request for help for discussion at a Group meeting - this is to allow appropriate time for other members to be made aware and prepare.
These Rules and Guidelines will be kept under review by the Study Group Leader, and revisions proposed to members as deemed appropriate from time to time.
The Group may consider the holding of Plant Sales from time to time. Any revenue from these will be used/distributed as agreed with members.
The Group may consider joint activities with other U3A Groups from time to time.
Study Group Leader: Jerry England
Deputy SGL: Fin Hylands
Assistant SGL: Pam Tomlinson