Group Leader: Terry Hoye
Tel: 07944 239 235 - (Please only use mobile number for contact)
All abilities. During the autumn and winter months held in the James Suite WA Town Hall on 1st Monday each month. 1.30 until 3pm. £2 charge includes tea and biscuits.
NO GARDENING CLUB BECAUSE OF LOCKDOWN.
The 2020 March trip was a tour of Copped Hall.
Trips on hold at the present time
Visit to Audley End House and Gardens - Will rearrange - As the U3A has an agreement with English Heritage, I will be able to obtain free entrance to the house and gardens at Audley End House.
During the summer months the gardening group do not meet in the James Suite as we go out on visits, so please look at newsletter and website for information.
INFO FROM TERRY -
With us all being at home more than usual, we are all drinking more tea. Here is a little gem on how to put used tea bags to good use in your garden.
1. Add the used tea bag to your compost bin as it speeds up the composting process.
2. Repels pests. Make a weak brew of tea using used tea bags, and water around your plants, then open tea bag to put leaves in the soil. It is a great way to repel pests and fungal diseases from your plants.
3. Make your plants lush and happy by opening the used tea bag around your plants; it improves the structure of the soil and feeds earth worms.
4. Feed your Acid-Loving Houseplants - ferns and many other houseplants prefer acidic soil. Open up the teabags and work leaves into the pot soil.
5. Give your roses a boost. Roses love tea leaves - slit open the used tea bag and sprinkle tea leaves around your roses to give them a boost.
6. Finally if you grow plants from seed, open up the tea bag and sow your seeds in the tea bag (dampen), then plant in soil or pot as it should give a better germinating rate.
I hope you put your mountain of tea bags to good use. Those coffee drinkers can use coffee grouts on garden to repel pests.
If any members would like back issues of gardening magazines such as Gardeners World, Amateur Gardening, Kitchen Garden or Grow Your Own, please let me know as I have a surplus. Good luck in your garden in 2021.
Contact Terry Hoye - 07944 239 235
Click on a picture below to see it full-size with more details.