The Cycling Group organises a variety of rides from 15 to 45 miles in length. If you haven't been out on your bike for a while we have our shorter afternoon rides on the first and third Tuesdays of the month. If you have been cycling fairly regularly, we organise longer rides on the second and fourth Thursdays.
Tuesday afternoon rides are up to 20 miles, usually starting in Thornbury. Thursday rides usually start around 9:30am. We cycle between 30 and 40 miles and stop for coffee and lunch and finish mid-afternoon. Some Thursday rides start from Thornbury and for others we transport our bikes to starting points further afield, e.g. Bitton Station for the Bristol-Bath Railway Path or to Tetbury.
Our rides are sociable as well as good for your fitness. We ride at a pace to suit everyone and regularly stop to regroup to ensure no one gets left behind. It's a great way to explore the cycle friendly lanes around Thornbury and beyond.
Covid-19 Update on 25th March
1) We will re-start group rides beginning 29th March
2) We will have an afternoon ride on a Tuesday and a morning ride on a Thursday whenever someone is willing to arrange and lead it
3) The rides are limited to 6 people max
4) Because there is a limit of 6, there can be more than one ride on a given day (but not on the same route) and on any Tuesday or Thursday.
5) There will be no "all day" rides yet.
6) When you publicise a ride, please indicate:
- How far it is
- Whether you think it is an easy or more difficult ride
- Whether you plan to have a takeaway coffee or bring your own (or ... heaven forbid ... no stop)
We will review the situation at each government roadmap date. The "usual" Covid hygiene and distance rules apply.
For further information please contact Don Grundell by email to Cycling
30th March Wickwar, Charfield, Damery. Short.
30th March Berkeley. Short.
1st April Milbury Heath, Cromhall, Tytherington, Frogland Cross, Almondsbury(via A38), Tockington, Elberton, Whale Wharf, Kington, Shepperdine, Rockhampton. Long
20th April Tytherington, Frogland Cross, Frampton Cotterell, Iron Acton, Rangeworthy, Bagstone, Milbury Heath and Buckover. 19 miles. Short
24th June Epney. Long. Provisional