Walks - Day (about 9 miles)
From February 2018 day walks will generally take place on the fourth Tuesday of each month (except December). Walks are generally 8 to 10 miles.
For all Day Walks meet at Scout Hall, Thame at 9:30am or tell leader if going to drive direct to walk starting point.
The dates for walks in 2019 are shown below and more details will be added when the routes for the walks are announced. A summary of the walks in 2018 are also shown below.
For more details of this group please contact Brian Fisher on 01844 215924
- 22 Jan - 9 miles. Starting at Hambleden and proceed via Aston to Henley. The return to Hambleden will be via the Thames path. Plan to arrive in Henley about lunch time where there are plenty of places to eat. Alternatively bring your own packed lunch. Please check email before leaving if it is decided to cancel the walk because of poor weather. Leader: Brian Fisher
- 26 Feb - 9 miles. Starting in Bledlow, park either alongside the church or further up the road towards the Lions of Bledlow (GR SP778021, post code HP27 9PD). The walk starts by going to Horsenden, an attractive village with its church and Manor House, then visits Saunderton before walking through Princes Risborough Golf Course (with its spectacular fish!) and beginning to climb Lodge Hill. Banana break there before going on for a picnic lunch at Radnage church. On our way back we should enjoy great views from Chinnor Hill. A few stiles and two steep climbs, but we can take them slowly! Bring a picnic. Leader: Ruth Cornish (Please let Ruth know if you are going straight to the parking spot. Mob 07788 190170.)
- 26 Mar - 8.25 miles. Park at Swyncombe Church GR 683903. Some hills. May be muddy in parts. Swyncombe, Britwell Salome & Cookley Green. Downhill to start before climbing up and over Swyncombe Down with long views to Britwell House before dropping steeply down to follow a gently undulating route close to Britwell House, through Britwell Salome and on to part of the Ridgeway. Up Britwell Hill and along to Cookley Green. We pass above Swyncombe House before dropping down to Ladies Walk and rising up back to the cars. (This walk could be lengthen to 9.5 miles or shortened to 7.75 miles dependent on the weather and the walkers but this will happen only with unanimous agreement.) Leader: David Bishop (Please let David know if you intend to go direct to the parking spot. Mob 07906379672. Otherwise meet at Scout Hut as usual at 9.30 for car sharing.)
- 23 Apr - Leader: Brian Fisher & Michael Weeks - Ridgeway part 7
- 28 May - Nettlebed - 8.5 miles. Parking is on the road in Nettlebed at SU701867 (by the green on the track which runs parallel with the A4130. There is plenty of parking there, so hopefully that shouldn’t be a problem. May’s day walk starts in Nettlebed, goes through the Warburg Nature Reserve, passes through Stonor and up a hill to follow a ridge with lovely views across the valley. It drops down to Middle Assendon and then back through Wellgrove Woods and Crocker End. It’s 8.5 miles with a couple of fairly gentle climbs and one slightly more challenging steep hill. I think there are three stiles at most (I forgot to count!), but nearly all the crossings are kissing gates. There are a couple of short sections on very minor roads and one longer stretch (about 5 minutes) on a slightly busier, but still minor road. Leader: Daniele Manktelow
- 25 June - Cancelled.
- 23 July - Casden - Approx 9 miles. The wall will go via Whiteleaf Hill, Little Hampden Common, Coombe Hill and Ellesborough. This is Chiltern walking so they will be some hills. (You will need to bring food and drink and suitable clothing for the British summer.) Leader: Charles Boundy.
- 27 Aug - Approx 9 miles. Meet at the Scout Hut at 9:15 (not 9:30!) to car share to Nettlebed (GR SU702 868, postcode RG9 5AX, park alongside The Green) in time to catch the 10:02 X38 bus to Henley (bring bus passes!!). We will then walk back to Nettlebed from Henley town centre. The route goes through Badgemore Park Golf Club to Rotherfield Greys (lots of good views of lovely scenery), then passes Greys Court on its way to a picnic stop at Bix (bring a picnic!). We then pass through attractive woods and fields back to Nettlebed arriving alongside the Field Kitchen café where we could stop for tea and cakes! Leader: Ruth Cornish (Please let Ruth know if you are driving direct to Nettlebed).
- 24 Sept - Cate Andreopulos
- 22 Oct - Leader: Brian Fisher & Michael Weeks - Ridgeway part 8
- 26 Nov - TBA
- Dec No walk
|16 Jan||9 miles - Chalfont St Giles||Brian Fisher.|
|27 Feb||8miles. Chess Valley. Charles Boundy.|
|27 Mar||8 miles -Middle Assendon, Henley, Bix.||David Bishop|
|24 Apr||9 miles - Ridgeway (section 4) Sparsholt to West Ilsley||Brian Fisher & Michael Weeks|
|22 May||9 miles - Great Hampden||Danielle Mankelow|
|19 Jun||8½ miles - Ridgeway (section 5) West Ilsley to Streatley||Brian Fisher & Michael Weeks|
|24 Jul||9 miles - West Wycombe & Lacey Green||Ruth Cornish|
|28 Aug||8.5 miles -Chazey Heath via Mapledurham and Collins End||Brian Fisher|
|25 Sep||9 miles - Christmas Common, Russell Water & Pishill||Brian Fisher|
|23 Oct||9 miles - Ridgeway (section 6) Streatley to Nuffield||Brian Fisher & Michael Weeks|
|27 Nov||8 miles - through Windsor Great Park via Virginia Water||Michael Weeks|