The 39 U3As listed below are members of the Sussex U3A Network. Click on their names to visit their websites. To contact other u3a websites, go to u3asites.org.uk
Representatives Meetings will be smaller, cluster meetings are planned for February 2021 onwards by Zoom or, possibly, at a local venue. There will be 5 are groups with a designated SUN trustee as their contact.
Zoom sessions are currently being used for all meetings.
2021 Dates: Zoom meetings to be arranged for rest of the year until further notice.
We would welcome more members on our committee (SEC) with no obligation to take a secretary role. Members of any of our U3As are welcome to attend a SEC/committee meeting. Please email SUN or notify the secretary/ another committee member beforehand.
NOTICES TO OUR MEMBERS
- TAT (Third Age Trust) has free online tutorials for Zoom available to members: Hosting Group Meetings, Running large meetings and virtual AGMs, Trustee induction – dates due. (Updated Jan/21)
- Our South East regional representative, from September 2020, is now Susie Berry from Thames Valley. You can email her via the link.
- Charity Commission Advice to the Third Age Trust 10/20.
- Online tutorials for U3A members now include one for New Committee Members. Follow the links on the national website as shown in the Zoom tutorials, below.
- Zoom tutorials are available to u3a members from the national TAT website (front page at bottom, under Covid Links), click video conferencing, online tutorials) for the various dates to book 1 hour Zoom tutorials.
These include: Help with u3a Day preparation - three dates available - Getting Ready for u3a Day. Links are on the Events page. Only 2 trustees per u3a please.
|-Zoom Talks Click on the coloured text for that list of talks|
|Sussex topics by J Pennington|
|Local Sussex topics by K Gordon|
|Historic Talks from Royal Palaces guides|
|Talks on the Raj from J Mallin|
|Zoom speakers 2/21|
|Various Topics talks from Neil Sadler 3/21|
Mirthy.co.uk offers talks for a small individual fee or groups.
Please advise us of any Zoom lecturers you have used.
- Trouble shooters! The two Sussex reps on the newly formed SE Region Support Group,are helping the SE trustee by assisting local U3As with any problems, as well as setting up new U3As, when required. U3As are welcome to contact Sue Howard for West Sussex and Mike Hewens for East Sussex and Brighton.
- PR Advice
- A TAT Health Check sheet is available to assist U3A committees in evaluating the efficiency of their own local organisation. It is an informal document.
- The New U3A Logo with brand use notes can be easily downloaded from the TAT website front page (the link is in the bottom list, beside the sign in section.)
-Not currently available as Zoom talks are currently being used. The annual Speakers List is available from email@example.com Please advise us of any changes.
- An explanation text for TAT, SUN & SEF
- The Beacon Administration System. Support for users is support@u3aBeacon.org.uk. You can google a demonstration and there will be SUN workshops on how the system functions.
- Grants to assist U3As:
a) the SUN Event Funding Grant to encourage activities/meetings between our member U3As, will cover the venue costs only. Two or more U3As must be involved. Click for form.
b) TAT Grants details and rules. There are TAT grants available via national office or the SE trustee. NB. U3As can only apply for one grant within a two year period.
- The TAT £200 Grant form for local U3A Open Days/a promotional event up to £200.
All grants available from January 2020 are listed on the TAT grants policy.
Download and email the completed forms to the SE regional trustee, currently Susie Berry, who authorises them for national office. Click on the coloured text for a form. Request the funding in advance of the event and all receipts/ paid invoices have to be forwarded later to Susie.
- SUN Expenses form. This can only be used with a SEC member's agreement and signature before submitting it.
- The Barbara Lewis U3A Fund provides financial help to new U3As. Donations welcome.
are arranged for members of Sussex U3As with like interests eg. treasurers, newsletter editors, web managers or leaders of special interest groups, to help each other by sharing their experiences. They are led by members for members and the maximum attendance number is 20. If there is a high demand for a particular workshop, it may be repeated at a later date.
NB The workshop co-ordinator will request the co-operation of the local U3A at a local workshop venue, to assist with providing refreshments, even possibly registering attendees and welcoming the guest speaker/organiser if necessary, should the co-ordinator be delayed or travelling a long distance. This will ensure a pleasant event for all the participants.
National Office (TAT) Currently suspended but may be available on Zoom. TAT offers a variety of free workshops to assist U3As. Local U3A officials are invited to attend. See list on the TAT website. U3As can apply to organise one of these if they include at least 4 other U3As and more than 25 attendees - up to 60 max. Costs are covered by national office including the facilitator, venue hire, lunch and refreshments.(Approx. £8 pp organised by host U3A). No money handling, as all invoices go directly to TAT and Eventbrite handle the registrations. For details download the National Request Workshops PDF. Currently suspended
Current TAT Workshops that can be requested:
|Keeping It Legal|
|Running Your U3A|
|Interest Groups Matters|
|Volunteers & Volunteering|