Registered Charity No.1171008
Thank you for visiting our website, which we hope you will find interesting, informative and exciting.
While Coronavirus control measures have caused our usual activities to cease, it does not mean we can’t carry on being social. Visit our new:
- KEEPING IN TOUCH page - for some great ideas and suggestions many U3As are sharing about how they are keeping in touch with each other, including convening "virtual" meetings. You will also find additional news bulletins full of quizzes, competitions and member contributions to entertain you.
- THINGS TO DO page - full of ideas to keep you busy and entertained.
Click on our CORONAVIRUS page to access the latest official information and advice.
It is appreciated that due to the COVID-19 lock down members have been unable to attend our groups and meetings as they have been closed, however we understand that some of the groups are managing to keep contact via Zoom, Skype, WhatsApp, Face Time and other online facilities. Newsletters and our extra Keeping In Touch magazines are still being issued.
If you have not renewed your membership you will not be able to attend your usual groups or the monthly members meetings, nor will you receive any more newsletters or Third Age Matters magazines. You will not be covered by U3A insurances.
Please note that you can pay online by Bank Transfer, you will find remittance details on the renewal form on this page.
Our membership year runs from 1st May each year for 12 months.
- For new members we now have a New Member Application Form which is valid from March 2020. For new members joining before 1st May their membership will run from registration until 30 April 2021.
- Existing members should use the Membership Renewal Form.
Both forms can be downloaded from the Links in the side panel on this page, they state the current membership fees.
We now have a dedicated telephone number for membership enquiries:- 07561 135235. This is following enquiries by potential new members who do not have access to a computer.
ABOUT THE U3A
The U3A movement is a unique and exciting organisation which provides, through its U3As, life-enhancing and life-changing opportunities. Membership of a U3A is defined not by a particular age but by a period in life in which full time employment has ceased.
Members come together and learn together, not for qualifications but for its own reward: the sheer joy of discovery. Members share their skills and life experiences: the learners teach and the teachers learn, and there is no distinction between them. The U3A movement is supported by the Third Age Trust. There are local U3As all across the UK with well over 425,000 U3A members in more than 1,043 U3As run entirely by volunteers. They draw upon the knowledge, experience and skills of their own members to organise and provide interest groups in accordance with the wishes of the membership.
ABOUT STANWAY U3A
Stanway U3A (with Colchester U3A), serves the people of Colchester and its surrounding towns and villages. Stanway U3A has over 900 members. We are a lively and friendly group of people who wish to continue to learn and take up new interests and activities in spite of, or because of having reached the "Third Age" – the period when we are no longer in full time employment. Join us and you will enjoy access to:-
- over 70 interest groups (go to GROUPS)
- taster sessions and short term activities (go to GROUPS)
- social events - mornings/afternoons (go to EVENTS)
- visits to places of interest with guides and privileged access (go to EVENTS)
- monthly lecture meetings with knowledgeable speakers (no meeting in August)(go to EVENTS)
- monthly newsletter (go to MEMBERS area)
- "Third Age Matters" magazine, published by the Third Age Trust (go to MEMBERS area)
Stanway U3A is managed through an appointed Executive Committee and a number of active Sub-committees - see the photo on this page for further details.