Things To Do
Welcome to this page aimed at giving you access to some of the many online resources available to keep yourself entertained or acquire a new skill if you have free time or are unable to venture out.
Click on a link to find out more. If members have any suggestions to add to the list please get in touch with our Website Manager via the Contact button.
- New Tip - search for U3A on YouTube and see the new Radio Podcasts and more Some U3As have also uploaded content from their groups and social events or even host their own YouTube channels.
- Arts and Culture with Google - Virtual tours, lots to discover!
- Love Lowry - Colouring-in sheets based on some of the most famous paintings by LS Lowry, download and get creative!
- Camulos - discover some of the history and attractions of the town of Colchester.
- Chatterpack - lists and has links to many free, online, boredom-busting resources for those staying at home.
- Colchester Civic Society - learn about what it does and how it impacts on our surroundings. This includes Conservation Work, Planning, Highways, Licensing, Eyes and Ears, Commemorative Plaques, Public Footpaths, Trees, Street Naming, Publications and Heritage Open Days.
- Colchester Recalled Oral History - an archive of recorded memories about Colchester & District over the past 120 years.
- Cressing Temple - Take a virtual tour & get some seasonal gardening tips from their Head Gardener.
- Cribbage Pro - Fancy playing cribbage? Get the app, available for most devices.
- East Anglian Film Archive - View 200 hours of film - free.
- Essex Libraries give access to free e-books, e-audio books, e-magazines and e-comics through the Borrowbox and Libby apps, use your library card to log in.
- Essex Record Office - The storehouse of Essex history.
- Essex University Lectures - In 2020 Essex University launched a series of Professorial Inaugural Lectures over the internet called Essex Explores, Challenging ideas, difficult questions, complex answers. Pre-registration is required for upcoming lectures, or you can watch recordings of previous lectures. Click the link for further information.
- Essex Wildlife Trust TV Channel - On Facebook so you need a Facebook account to watch. A weekly schedule includes badger and bird webcams, sessions on different species, gardening tips and more.
- Filmed on Stage - Free streaming of musicals and plays.
- GEMS newsletter - is a free monthly newsletter created by U3A Online for any interested person in any country. Read all issues online, or subscribe to receive by email. Full of interesting articles and tips.
- Grey Friars - exists to advance the education of the adult population in Colchester and the surrounding area.
- London Art Studies - During lockdown the award-winning education platform is making more and more of their short and accessible art history videos available to view free of charge.
- Mercury Theatre - Moves online with a variety of performances, masterclasses, singalongs and stories. Musical singalong every Wednesday evening at 7pm.
- Mirthy talks - click the link to see upcoming free Zoom talks on “Everything From Gardening and Travel to History and Show Business”
- Origami instructions - 120+ easy to fold origami models that beginners can do.
- RHS website - offers a range of advice for gardeners.
- Trust u3a - is an online u3a that gives you the opportunity to join groups, talks and courses. Like any u3a activities are run by members for members.
- Virtual tourist attractions and Virtual Museum Tours- Visit museums, galleries, zoos, parks, stately homes etc without leaving your house.
- Youtube - Watch film trailers, informative talks such as TED Talks, and tutorials on many subjects, or listen to music. U3A has a YouTube channel plus you can access u3a radio podcasts.
If you want to learn something new that has a bit more structure yet still have the flexibility of learning at your own pace, why not take a look at the short courses offered by:
- ACL Free online courses - hour-long interactive courses, plus free "keeplearningactivities" on a range of topics.
- FutureLearn - all courses are free as long as you do not want a certificate.
- Open Learn - from the Open University offers an amazing range of free courses from 1 to over 40 hours study.
- U3A Online - is the worlds first virtual u3a operating exclusively online. It provides over 60 short courses for older people who enjoy learning but prefer the freedom to study where and when they choose.
- WEA – many online courses are free subject to personal status.