Things To Do
Welcome to this new page aimed at helping you to keep yourself entertained or acquire a new skill during lockdown.
This is a sample of the free entertainment and educational resources available on the internet. Click on a link to find out more, we will be adding to the list as time goes on:
- Arts and Culture with Google - Virtual tours, lots to discover!
- Love Lowry - Colouring-in sheets based on some of the most famous paintings by LS Lowry, download and get creative!
- Borrowbox and RB Digital apps give access to free e-books, e-audio books, e-magazies and e-comics from Essex libraries, use your library card to log in.
- Camulos - discover some of the history and attractions of the town of Colchester.
- Chatterpack - lists and has links to many free, online, boredom-busting resources for those staying at home.
- Chelsea Flower show - For the duration of the show, between May 18 and 23, the RHS website will host a range of free content from experts in the gardening world.
- Colchester Civic Society - learn about what it does and how it impacts on our surroundings.
- Colchester Recalled Oral History - an archive of recorded memories about Colchester & District over the past 120 years.
- Cressing Temple - Take a virtual tour & get some seasonal gardening tips from their Head Gardener.
- Cribbage Pro - Fancy playing cribbage? Get the app, available for most devices.
- East Anglian Film Archive - View 200 hours of film - free.
- Essex Record Office - The storehouse of Essex history.
- Essex University Inaugural Lectures - This year Essex University has launched a series of Professorial Inaugural Lectures called Essex Explores, Challenging ideas, difficult questions, complex answers. All the lectures are via Zoom and will take place every Wednesday evening at 7pm with an opportunity to ask questions at the end. Stanway & Colchester U3A members are invited to attend, pre-registration is required for each lecture. Click the link for further information on the programme, which continues throughout July.
- Essex Wildlife Trust TV Channel - On Facebook so you need a Facebook account to watch. A weekly schedule includes badger and bird webcams, sessions on different species, gardening tips and more.
- Filmed on Stage - Free streaming of musicals and plays.
- GEMS newsletter - is a free monthly newsletter created by U3A Online for any interested person in any country. Read all issues online, or subscribe to receive by email. Full of interesting articles and tips.
- Grey Friars - exists to advance the education of the adult population in Colchester and the surrounding area.
- London Art Studies - During lockdown the award-winning education platform is making more and more of their short and accessible art history videos available to view free of charge.
- Mercury Theatre - Moves online with a variety of performances, masterclasses, singalongs and stories. Musical singalong every Wednesday evening at 7pm.
- Origami instructions - 120+ easy to fold origami models that beginners can do.
- Stanway U3A Book & Puzzle Stall - A huge range of books and puzzles available on the second Friday each month between 11am – 1pm at Margaret’s garage. Usual social distancing protocols apply. See Newsletter July 2020 for address and contact details.
- Virtual tourist attractions and Virtual Museum Tours- Visit museums, galleries, zoos, parks, stately homes etc without leaving your house.
- Youtube - Watch film trailers, informative talks such as TED Talks, and tutorials on many subjects, or listen to music.
If you do have time and want to learn something new that has a bit more structure yet still have the flexibility of learning at your own pace, why not take a look at the short courses offered by:
- ACL Free online courses - hour-long interactive courses, plus free "keeplearningactivities" on a range of topics.
- FutureLearn - all courses are free as long as you do not want a certificate.
- Open Learn - from the Open University offers an amazing range of free courses from 1 to over 40 hours study.
- U3A Online - is the worlds first virtual U3A operating exclusively online. It provides over 60 short courses for older people who enjoy learning but prefer the freedom to study where and when they choose.
- WEA – all online courses are free to access until end of July 2020 and will link through Zoom and Canvas.
If members have any suggestions to add to the above list please get in touch with our Website Manager via the Contact button.