Events - Talks, Tours and Social Events
As we still cannot host our physical Monthly Meetings at the Village Hall, we are pleased to announce that we are now offering monthly presentations over the internet using ZOOM, the popular videoconferencing tool.
Members need to register in advance by email to attend these events as invitations and joining instructions are issued by email. See diary entries below for our presentations, full details are included in the latest newsletter. Please join us as members who have attended previous events have enjoyed the experience and we want more members to benefit.
Visit our new:
- KEEPING IN TOUCH page - for some great ideas and suggestions many U3As are sharing about how they are keeping in touch with each other, including convening "virtual" meetings. You will also find additional news bulletins full of quizzes, competitions and member contributions to entertain you.
- THINGS TO DO page - full of ideas to keep you busy and entertained.
The following information applies when we are under normal operating conditions.
All our events are advertised at the monthly Lecture Meetings, in the monthly Newsletter, on the Noticeboard of the Welcome page, and in Dates for your Diary below. All members are very welcome to attend. Please check the Newsletters for exact dates, times and venues.
- Lecture Meetings - All members of Stanway U3A are welcome to attend our Lecture Meetings, which feature a variety of speakers. Meetings are usually held on the second Friday of each month (no meeting in August) in Stanway Village Hall, Villa Road, Stanway starting at 2.15pm. Entrance and refreshments are free. The programme of speakers is also advertised in the current Brochure. Alternative parking: The Evangelical Church on Chapel Road has kindly allowed us to park in their car park on Lecture days. Stanway U3A members also have access to Colchester U3A monthly talks, but do take your membership card with you. Use the link to Colchester U3A Events in the side panel.
- Mini-Lecture Meetings - Occasional meetings are held in much smaller local venues. Entrance is free, refreshments may not always be provided.
- All Around the Town - These events go to local places of interest, usually with a guide and privileged access.
- Trips and Tours - These trips go further afield and can be just for the day, or sometimes a three or four day mini-break.
- Booking Forms are available along with details for the particular event in the relevant Newsletter.
- Stanway Social Xtra - Usually on the last Friday afternoon of each month, we organise an Xtra social event. Depending on the event and venue, these may be ticketed so we can manage numbers attending, and sometimes this may also involve a small charge to cover costs.
- New Members Meetings - are arranged throughout the year to provide an opportunity for new members to meet informally and learn about the activities and opportunities on offer.
- Group Leaders Buffet - Once a year in summer there is a ‘Thank You’ event specifically for all Stanway U3A Group Leaders who give up their time to run interest groups and activities.
|Dates for your Diary|
|Thu Nov 5th||Workshop||9.30-11.30 - Zoom Taster drop-in session. See Newsletter October 2020 for details and how to register.|
|Thu Nov 12th||Workshop||9.30-11.30 - Zoom Taster drop-in session. See Newsletter October 2020 for details and how to register.|
|Fri Nov 13th||Meeting||2.00pm 11th ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING of STANWAY U3A will be held via ZOOM .Followed by our monthly speaker: Mark Lewis presents: ‘The Seasonal Customs & Traditions of Essex’. Zoom Registration details have been issued with AGM documentation. See also Newsletter Nov 2020 for details and more about the speaker.|
|Fri Nov 27th||Meeting||2.15pm Extra Zoom Presentation: BARROW TO BAGHDAD & BACK AGAIN by Philip Caine, successful author of adventure thrillers, creator of Jack Castle and a new detective series. For registration and more about the speaker see Newsletter Nov 2020.|
|Fri Dec 11th||Meeting||2.15pm Festive Zoom Presentation by Hexachordia: A Tudor Christmas – celebrating the festive season as it was under Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, combining music, mirth & merriment. Registration required, details to follow.|
|Fri Jan 8th||Meeting||2.15pm Zoom Presentation by Alan Haines: Mad Musicians & Crazy Dancers. A look back in history at the stories behind some of the most bizarre singing and dancing entertainers of all time. Registration required, details to follow.|
|Fri Jan 22nd||Meeting||2.15pm Extra Zoom Presentation by Annamaria Dall’Anese: Blue Badge London Guide: Jewels of London’s Museums & Art Galleries. A virtual tour. Registration required, details to follow.|
|Fri Feb 12th||Meeting||2.15pm Zoom presentation by Jenny Mallin: A grandmother’s legacy: the early days. Registration required, details to follow.|
|Fri Feb 26th||Meeting||2.15pm Extra Zoom Musical Presentation by Andy Smith: Plays several guitars, ukulele, mandolin etc sings songs and tells humorous anecdotes. Registration required, details to follow.|
Click on a picture below to see it full-size with more details.