Corona Virus News
For the foreseeable future we will be using this page to advertise information we consider might be helpful to our members at this time.
New items will be added to the list as they become available to us. If anyone has any useful hints/tips/advice/information please email them in by clicking on the link to the Activities Co-ordinator.
- Uke-a-teer Newsletter. A chance to catch up with what our ukulele players have been up to. Plenty of interesting reading.
- ALDI Coronavirus Information. Click the link for the latest information on ALDI store availability. Four items per product and Keep Your Distance!
- Skype Video-conferencing. On the Free Online Learning Resources (MOOC) web page, Chris Devereux has written instructions for our group leaders about how to set up small, Skype-group video-conferencing calls and how to share computer screens and thus use the wide range of on-line learning resources which he has added to the web-page. He is hoping that this will encourage our members to meet on-line in the same way in which they will be certainly meeting their family members during these truly terrible times.
- Morrisons is doing a special hour for elderly people 7-8 Mon to Sat. Now Merseytravel restrictions have gone people can take earlier buses
- Clap for our NHS carers. Click the link to see how you can show your gratitude and support for those NHS workers we’re all going to be relying on in the coming months
- Merseyrail. Travel time restrictions for seniors have been removed. Passes are now useable 24/7, but please remember that trains are only every 1/2 hour. Click the link for more information
- Birkdale Home Deliveries. Click the link for a list of shops taking telephone orders and delivering in Birkdale
- Bold Hotel Essential Items Supply. Click the link for information about their Essential Items Supermarket
- Birkdale Knock & Drop starting next week. Click the link for details.
- Cheshire Lines Pub King Street. Just behind the Prince of Wales. Good pub food. Like all such places it faces a tough time and they are working hard on it. They are going to start a delivery or pick up service (food and beer, if you bring your own drinks container). 12-6 though possibly with being forced to close they will go later into the evening. Normal menu only. Delivery is free and within three miles, and NHS workers get theirs free. For information click on the link above
!!! SUSPENSION OF ALL U3A ACTIVITIES !!!
FOLLOWING GOVERNMENT ADVICE TO PROTECT OUR MEMBERS, SOUTHPORT U3A IS TAKING THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS:-
- Monthly meetings at Christchurch in Lord Street are cancelled until 2nd July i.e. there will be no monthly meetings in April, May and June
- U3A Day, planned for 4th June, is postponed date to be confirmed
- All group activities are suspended until further notice, reliant on government advice
- Any member who is owed a refund for events should contact the relevant Group Leader
- As the ethos of the U3A is mutual support, a Southport U3A action support group is being set up to compile a register of those members who require assistance e.g. shopping etc. and a register of those able and willing to provide support. Please see below for further details.
If you require assistance or are willing to offer assistance, please contact Phil Watling who will co-ordinate this initiative. Contact via 'Beacon Members Portal' (Action Support Group) or click the link to email the Activities Co-ordinator. Please include your membership number.
These actions will be reviewed in June. Please consult the U3A website news page for up-to-date information in general and in reference to specific groups.
These decisions are regrettable but, as the welfare of our members is paramount, we would be recklessly negligent to ignore current government health advice.
Neil Mc Millan
Chair Southport U3A
***SOUTHPORT U3A CORONAVIRUS PHONE HELPERS***
We are all going through difficult times at the moment but some of our members have no-one to help them through it. As you know we are looking for volunteers to help with little errands for some of our members who may not be able to get out. We have already had lots of offers of help but if you think you can help, let me know, with your membership number, or join the volunteer group on Beacon -
ACTION U3A SOUTHPORT
But, we also need telephone helpers. Many of our members, if self isolating, will not have contact with anyone for days at a time. I want to publish a list of names and phone numbers on our website and Beacon, possibly including interests and U3A groups of which you are member. Anyone in need of a 'chat' could then have a choice of numbers to contact.
If you would like to help in this way please let me know (with membership number) and a list of interests or the groups you're in. The only qualification needed is an ability to chat.
Phil Watling, Activities Co-ordinator