|Day of meeting||monthly Second Thursday|
|Time||11:00 - 4:30|
|Venue||West Lancashire Yacht Club, Marine Drive|
|Click the link to email:||Try Sailing leader|
This year 6 Try Sailing Days for 16 people have been scheduled - more may be added depending on demand.
2020 dates are:
Thursday 9th April
Thursday 14th May - limited availability
Tuesday 2nd June
Thursday 9th July
Thursday 13th August
Thursday 10th September
We have plenty of free parking down by the clubhouse.
- 11.00 introductions Start with a coffee and then you'll be fitted with Buoyancy aids and help to rig the dinghies with the instructors and have your first sail. You will go out on the water with an instructor, crew the boat and learn how to balance it, and about wind direction and sail management
- 1.00 buffet lunch - vegetarians catered for
- 2.00 second sail around the lake learning all points of sail. Again in groups, get up close to the swans and witness the bird life on the islands and enjoy the excitement of sailing on our lovely lake
- 4.00 pack away the boats. Tea and cakes
- 4.30 finish
Cost £20 each for the day to include sailing, boat hire, lunch, teas and coffee.
- this is a water sport - you may get wet and mucky so please don't wear your best clothes
- do wear warm clothing, layers are good - it's always colder on the water, a waterproof jacket as you will get spray from the water, comfortable trousers - no buttons on the back pockets please, soft-soled shoes such as trainers. Again, your feet may get wet so bring a change of clothes just in case. If it's a sunny day bring sunglasses, with a retainer, and sunscreen - the sun reflects up from the water.
This is an active sport and requires good knees. You must be able to climb down to get into the boat and move from side to side quickly in the boat. Previous sailing experience is not required but you must be able to swim, although the lake is only 4'6 deep.
10 benefits of sailing - in addition to lots of fun!
- muscle strength
- mental wellness
- communication skills
- spatial awareness
- organisational skills
- cardiovascular fitness
- lowers stress levels
If the weather forecast is unsuitable - too windy or heavy rain - we will re-schedule the event.
Second Thursday in every month - but you must book to ensure a place.