|Day of meeting||Monthly, 4th Thursday|
|Time||7:00 - 9:00|
|Venue||The Gables Bridge Club, Queens Road|
|Click the link to email:||Astronomy leader|
Astro Group activities include:
- presentations and discussions on every aspect of astronomy
- star gazing and observing with telescopes (weather dependent of course)
- sessions on the purchase and use of telescopes
- visits to observatories and planetariums
- evening talks at nearby universities
- visits to astronomy fairs
** For a full list of upcoming events click on the link to the Astro Group Programme 2019 **
No technical knowledge or observing equipment is required. The purpose of the group is to learn about all aspects of Astronomy and the universe around us. If you decide to purchase a telescope or binoculars sound advice will be given on the most suitable equipment to match your needs and budget.
There is some limited car parking space at the Bridge Club, otherwise on Queens Road. A hot drink and biscuits are available.
------- ESSENTIAL WEB LINKS for the astronomer -----------------------------------
- SpaceWeather. A website giving daily updates on interesting events going on up there. Includes sunspot count, solar and lunar eclipses, occultations and other fascinating topics. Want to know when there's a chance of catching those aurorae or a noctilucent cloud display? This site will help you.
- NASA website. The website for all things in space exploration. Be sure to visit the Galleries section!
- NASA Eclipses. Here you will find a table leading to full details of past and upcoming solar and lunar eclipses. Tells you where you may have to travel to for the best viewing experience. Eclipse predictions are by the renowned Fred Espenak, NASA/GSFC Emeritus.
- Met Office forecast. Find out if you should dust off the 'scope tonight.
Click to view ASTRONOMY PICTURE GALLERY
|Dates for your Diary|
|Thu Aug 22nd||Presentation by Bob: Constellations and stars of the Northern Hemisphere|
|Thu Sep 26th||Presentation by Professor Don Kurtz|
|Fri Oct 11th||Visit the Godlee Observatory at Manchester University|
Date to be confirmed
|Thu Nov 28th||Presentation by Dr Steve Barrett|
|Thu Dec 5th||Winter Solstice Dinner|
Venue to be confirmed.