|Day of meeting||Monthly, 4th Thursday|
|Time||7:00 - 9:00|
|Venue||The Gables Bridge Club, Queens Road|
|Click the link to email:||Astronomy leader|
Following government advice on group meetings the leader, with the approval of group members, has decided that the group will not hold meetings for the foreseeable future.
Astro Group activities include:
- presentations and discussions on every aspect of astronomy
- star gazing and observing with telescopes (weather dependent of course)
- sessions on the purchase and use of telescopes
- visits to observatories and planetariums
- evening talks at nearby universities
- visits to astronomy fairs
No technical knowledge or observing equipment is required. The purpose of the group is to learn about all aspects of Astronomy and the universe around us. If you decide to purchase a telescope or binoculars sound advice will be given on the most suitable equipment to match your needs and budget.
There is some limited car parking space at the Bridge Club, otherwise on Queens Road. A hot drink and biscuits are available.
------- ESSENTIAL WEB LINKS for the astronomer -----------------------------------
- SpaceWeather. A website giving daily updates on interesting events going on up there. Includes sunspot count, solar and lunar eclipses, occultations and other fascinating topics. Want to know when there's a chance of catching those aurorae or a noctilucent cloud display? This site will help you.
- NASA website. The website for all things in space exploration. Be sure to visit the Galleries section!
- NASA Eclipses. Here you will find a table leading to full details of past and upcoming solar and lunar eclipses. Tells you where you may have to travel to for the best viewing experience. Eclipse predictions are by the renowned Fred Espenak, NASA/GSFC Emeritus.
- Met Office forecast. Find out if you should dust off the 'scope tonight.
Click to view ASTRONOMY PICTURE GALLERY
|Dates for your Diary|
|Thu Sep 24th||Solar Flares|
Professor Philippa Browning
|Thu Oct 22nd||Presentation|
Professor Andy Newsom
|Thu Nov 26th||Presentation|
Dr Steve Barrett
|Thu Dec 3rd||Winter Solstice Dinner|
Venue to be confirmed