Welcome to the SE Region Website.
Hello as the new Trustee of the Third Age Trust for the South-East Region.
I have taken over from Hilvary Robinson following the 2017 AGM as Hilvary has served her 3 Years and has done a fantastic job and received many accolades from many of you in this large region of U3A’s. Her shoes will be really hard for me to fill so please help me to get my feet (and shoes) under the table so that I can offer you the support that I know you need.
Within the U3A I have been Chairman of the Warsash membership and have been responsible for building and managing the website as well as Newsletter Editor and Publicity Manager. I also have been Chair of the local Residents Association and I currently sit on the organising committee of the Warsash Festival. I have previously been a Trustee for the RSPCA on a committee at a local animal rescue and welfare centre known as The Stubbington Ark where I was instrumental in the fundraising activities necessary to keep the centre open.
I do have the credentials and background to cover the role of Regional Trustee, having spent a career as an I.T. Project Manager and Programme Director in delivering high value projects and I have a broad and deep knowledge of business transitions and transformations including P&L, for large organisations operating up to and including Board level.
The South East is a massive area and as such I do not expect to carry out my task alone and I am looking for assistants to share the responsibilities. I have already composed a short list having spoken to interested parties at the National Conference so please watch this space. If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer or Assistant then please get in contact with me using my details below.
All Chairmen now have a copy of the 'Committee Reference File'[CRF] which gives all the information for running your U3A. If you want extra copies of pages you can download them from the National Website. No further copies of these Files are available so please pass the CRF on to each new Chairman. A new Postcard 'Handy Hints for new Chairmen' was available at the National Conference. If you are a new Chairman please ask for a copy from National Office. If you have suggestions for the CRF please send them to National Office.
If you have a Shared Learning Project in your U3A, we are being asked to lodge a copy of it with the Resources Centre at National Office, please. If you want further information about how to go about an SLP please contact Patsy Thornton email@example.com and she will come and talk to your U3A if you wish. 'Citizens 800 years in the making' is the suitable for all U3As. Do look at the flyer on the Events Page.
We really need more Regional Volunteers, especially in Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Isle of Wight to help U3As, and to set up new ones. The team of current Regional Volunteers is:
|Kent||Fran Dunk||Knole U3Afirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kent||Fred Lemont||Paddock Wood U3Aemail@example.com|
|Surrey||Arthur Browne||Horley U3Afirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Surrey||Sally Baker||Reigate & Redhill U3Aemail@example.com|
|Sussex||Brenda Atlee||Chichester U3Afirstname.lastname@example.org|
Do take an annual look at your Constitution to check if it is 'fit for purpose'. U3As that have Committee members who can serve long term should think about the drawbacks, since new people coming forward leads to new ideas and this increases the vibrancy and long term viability of your U3A.
- Most U3As in the SE Region are now in a Network. However, it seems that quite a few U3As never go to a meeting of the Network. It does not have to be the chairman, or even a member of the Committee - your U3A can appoint a representative to go on their behalf.You will be surprised at what you learn!
- Please let me know about waiting lists as this means we are not conforming to Charity Commission law. We are only too willing to help and support such U3As and maybe start a new U3A to alleviate the problem.
- If you want to know more about MOOCs (Massive Open On-line Courses)and how to use them for your U3A Group, there is now an advice sheet which came out with the April 2017 Mailing.
- Do induct all your new Committee Members and get them to sign the 'Trustee Code of Conduct' and eligibility documents.
- Finally, thank you for sending such beautiful photographs to the S E Region Webmaster. This is so energising! If you have one that your U3A member is willing to share, please send them to the SER Webmaster.
Thank you all for volunteering and working hard for U3A!