Opportunity for fully funded residences for artists
Cove Park, an artist residency centre located in Argyll and Bute, has been working with Luminate: Scotland’s Creative Ageing Organisation for many years to offer free, creative opportunities for older audiences. They are now sharing their annual call out for fully-funded residencies for artists at Cove Park. They recognise that having a diverse community of artists at Cove Park makes the experience richer for everyone.
More detail about the opportunities can be found at: https://covepark.org/funded-residency-programme/
Or perhaps you'd prefer to follow them on facebook or share a tweet: @CoveParkResidencies or @CovePark
For further information contact Vanessa Paynton, Cove Park, 07739 858303.
Opportunity from Age Scotland
Rachel Connor works for the charity Age Scotland coordinating a telephone based friendship service for armed forces veterans (and their partners/spouses) where they link groups by phone to chat on a weekly basis. One group had suggested the idea of having a 'speaker' attend one week to speak on a topic. This is something they have trialled with the organisation Sporting Memories Foundation for a sports themed discussion but sports is not everyone's cup of tea and it's great to have some variety!
Rachel wondered if there might be members/volunteers within the U3A with particular interest areas that would like to join in on one of their calls. It would be more conversational/leading a discussion rather than a presentation as such, as it is by telephone rather than video call.
You can contact Rachel Connor by email: email@example.com or by calling 07917243162 (Mon-Fri, 9-5).
Winter learning programme from U3A UK
Winter Learning Programme
All initiatives are available at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/learning/national-programmes. Initiatives are
intentionally released on a stagger to keep people’s interest and participation over the winter. Events which require members to book are at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/events/educational-events. The website will be updated regularly so members should be encouraged to keep checking these pages.
1. National poetry competition. Nationwide search to find the best poem penned by a u3a member. Launched 12th October. 20th November deadline, then judging. Winner announced January 2021.
2. Programme of free talks delivered by members (currently being sourced). Talks are released on a stagger so people don’t bulk book. Talks confirmed to date:
• Mayan civilization,
• How to write your living history
• Yoga (booking not yet released)
• Bridge tutorials for beginners and improvers (booking not yet released)
• Crown green bowling (booking not yet released)
• Philosophy (booking not yet released)
• Cryptic crosswords (booking not yet released)
• Japan (booking not yet released)
• Other TBC.
3. Made it! Make it! gets a Christmas update – people will be encouraged to send in pictures and explanations of how they have made decorations/items for Christmas and the festive season. This will use the same pages with updated wording and a push on social media. From 12th October, regular weekly updating.
4. Poetry reading. Encouraging members to read their poems aloud. Led by a u3a member. First session 14th October, 2:30pm. Second session TBC. Booking at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/events/educational-events
5. Winter Watch. Members send it pictures of winter gardens, scenes, animals etc. Launching 20th October, regular weekly updating.
6. Battle of Britain and the Blitz. Members are encouraged to send in their stories of their experiences/ those of their families and friends. Stories will go up on the website. Launch date by 23rd October.
7. Paint or Draw (POD) - The monthly art challenge. Similar to u3a Eye. Members send in pictures of their original artwork on a monthly theme. Up to 15 images are chosen for the online gallery. No prizes, just prestige. Launch date: 26th October.
8. U3A Maths Week (“Don’t retire from maths – count yourself in!”). Three events planned (publicity released 8th Oct including a prize draw) and booking at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/events/educational-events:
• Monday 9 November 2020, 2pm to 3.30pm Online talk by Rob Eastaway, “Maths on the Back of an Envelope.”
• Wednesday 11 November 2020, 2pm to 3pm Maths problems and puzzles workshop.
• Friday 13 November 2020, 2pm to 3pm Maths activities and games.
9. U3A Radio Podcast – Second programme to be released 17th November.
10. Friday watercolour painters - A series of five workshops led by a u3a member where participants are shown how to produce a to produce a finished piece of artwork at the end. Pictures of the final artworks to go up on a online gallery. Starts 20th November. Advertised at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/events/educational-events
11. Programme of ‘external’ talks. Includes to date:
• National Gallery – Life and paintings of Artemisia (£5) on 24th November
• Guildhall Art Gallery – Prerecorded talk about the Romans. Date TBC
• National Trust – History of the National Trust (free). Date TBC
• British Library – Christmas literature (free). Date TBC
• Southwark Cathedral – TBC
• National Army Museum - TBC
12. Christmas Choir – Group carol singing led by the U3A member who led the previous choir sessions. 10th December. A new weekly choir initiative, working towards a recorded song to start in January 2021.
13. Ongoing initiatives at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/learning/national-programmes
• U3A Eye – Fortnightly photograph challenge on a different theme each time.
• Maths challenge – weekly
• Quiz – weekly
• Birdwatch – Continuous with weekly updating
• Creative Covid Collaboration – Members create ‘squares’ to form a digital patchwork. Continuous
• Ideas to keep learning – weekly
• Diary – now closed, submissions for each week to the end of July available to read
• Creative Writing Competition 2020. Winners announced. The 13 regional winners’ stories are available to read
14. January - A series of Winter Schools are planned for 11th Jan – end of Feb 2021.