We will post latest news here and direct you to further information on the website. Please use links on the right of this page or the main menu buttons to navigate the website.
ZOOM COFFEE MORNING
Join us for a cuppa and a natter fortnightly on Thursdays - next meeting on Thursday 18th February, 10.30am - 11am
The Zoom link will be emailed out to members. Please contact Glenys on 635236 for more information.
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Would you like to take part in an informal group aimed at practising German conversation? We would meet by Zoom to begin with (maybe fortnightly/monthly?) and would perhaps have a theme each week for discussion - but we can work out the details depending on people's interest and knowledge of German. Please send a message to the Webmaster via the Contact page for further details. Ich freue mich darauf, von Ihnen zu hören! Tschüss!
Winter Learning Programme
Please see link at top right of page to download the infomation.
All initiatives are available at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/learning/national-programmes. Initiatives are intentionally released on a stagger to keep people’s interest and participation over the winter. Events which require members to book are at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/events/educational-events. The website will be updated regularly so members should be encouraged to keep checking these pages.
1. National poetry competition. Nationwide search to find the best poem penned by a u3a member. Launched 12th October. 20th November deadline, then judging. Winner announced January 2021.
2. Programme of free talks delivered by members (currently being sourced). Talks are released on a stagger so people don’t bulk book. Talks confirmed to date:
• Mayan civilization,
• How to write your living history
• Yoga (booking not yet released)
• Bridge tutorials for beginners and improvers (booking not yet released)
• Crown green bowling (booking not yet released)
• Philosophy (booking not yet released)
• Cryptic crosswords (booking not yet released)
• Japan (booking not yet released)
• Other TBC.
3. Made it! Make it! gets a Christmas update – people will be encouraged to send in pictures and explanations of how they have made decorations/items for Christmas and the festive season. This will use the same pages with updated wording and a push on social media. From 12th October, regular weekly updating.
4. Poetry reading. Encouraging members to read their poems aloud. Led by a u3a member. First session 14th October, 2:30pm. Second session TBC. Booking at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/events/educational-events
5. Winter Watch. Members send it pictures of winter gardens, scenes, animals etc. Launching 20th October, regular weekly updating.
6. Battle of Britain and the Blitz. Members are encouraged to send in their stories of their experiences/ those of their families and friends. Stories will go up on the website. Launch date by 23rd October.
7. Paint or Draw (POD) - The monthly art challenge. Similar to u3a Eye. Members send in pictures of their original artwork on a monthly theme. Up to 15 images are chosen for the online gallery. No prizes, just prestige. Launch date: 26th October.
8. U3A Maths Week (“Don’t retire from maths – count yourself in!”). Three events planned (publicity released 8th Oct including a prize draw) and booking at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/events/educational-events:
• Monday 9 November 2020, 2pm to 3.30pm Online talk by Rob Eastaway, “Maths on the Back of an Envelope.”
• Wednesday 11 November 2020, 2pm to 3pm Maths problems and puzzles workshop.
• Friday 13 November 2020, 2pm to 3pm Maths activities and games.
9. U3A Radio Podcast – Second programme to be released 17th November.
10. Friday watercolour painters - A series of five workshops led by a u3a member where participants are shown how to produce a to produce a finished piece of artwork at the end. Pictures of the final artworks to go up on a online gallery. Starts 20th November. Advertised at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/events/educational-events
11. Programme of ‘external’ talks. Includes to date:
• National Gallery – Life and paintings of Artemisia (£5) on 24th November
• Guildhall Art Gallery – Prerecorded talk about the Romans. Date TBC
• National Trust – History of the National Trust (free). Date TBC
• British Library – Christmas literature (free). Date TBC
• Southwark Cathedral – TBC
• National Army Museum - TBC
12. Christmas Choir – Group carol singing led by the U3A member who led the previous choir sessions. 10th December. A new weekly choir initiative, working towards a recorded song to start in January 2021.
13. Ongoing initiatives at: https://www.u3a.org.uk/learning/national-programmes
• U3A Eye – Fortnightly photograph challenge on a different theme each time.
• Maths challenge – weekly
• Quiz – weekly
• Birdwatch – Continuous with weekly updating
• Creative Covid Collaboration – Members create ‘squares’ to form a digital patchwork. Continuous
• Ideas to keep learning – weekly
• Diary – now closed, submissions for each week to the end of July available to read
• Creative Writing Competition 2020. Winners announced. The 13 regional winners’ stories are available to read
14. January - A series of Winter Schools are planned for 11th Jan – end of Feb 2021.
*You will find a wealth of information on the National U3A website - not only advice about Covid but also new and articles from members around the country about the various activities that have sprung up whilst we are unable to join together for all of our group activities. Please see the links on the right of this page to visit the National U3A website.
*Did you know that the U3A has a Youtube channel? Please see the link to the right...follow this to view the film 'U3A Life in Lockdown'
*Please note Monthly Speaker Meetings dates are being kept under review. We will re-schedule the A.G.M. to an appropriate date.
*Group Leaders will contact you regarding cancellation (or otherwise) of Group meetings