CHAIRS REPORT FROM THE BULLETIN FOR OCTOBER, NOVEMBER and DECEMBER
CHAIRS REPORT - Time for a change!
Why and where? Rickmansworth U3A members will no longer be designated as Tuesday and Thursday members. Membership cards for 2020 will all be the same colour. There will also be one membership list – “Rickmansworth U3A members”. Your committee have been in discussions to set up alternative monthly meetings in 2020 to bring us together as one RU3A. As we now have the opportunity to meet in a hall with more capacity it is time to give it a try.
How will it work?
- We will continue to meet on the second Thursday and fourth Tuesday each month, but only one of these meetings will provide a speaker, the other will be entitled ‘RELAX & LEARN”.
- Thursday meetings taking place during January, February and March will remain as meetings with a speaker.
- Ann Matthews has kindly agreed to continue as our ‘Speaker Secretary’.
- Tuesday meetings during January, February and March, will be ‘RELAX and LEARN’. An afternoon for members to be invited to come together to chat with friends and enjoy a cup of tea with a slice of cake, to mingle or to sit around tables.
- But, most of all this will be an opportunity for you to take part. RELAX and LEARN will be your event, we will invite a couple of study groups to exhibit and/or perform at each meeting. This is your opportunity to give a short presentation/talk on a hobby or organisation in which you have an interest or found helpful and also an opportunity to ask speakers to come along for 15 minutes to address and answer questions on current topics or something on which you would like more information. We will meet at 2pm as usual, with any addresses arranged for 3pm so you could arrive anytime during the afternoon between 2pm and 4pm.
Will it work?
- We will not know until we try! Commencing January 2020 there will be three months of speakers booked for the Thursday meeting with ‘RELAX and LEARN’ on the three subsequent Tuesday meetings, followed in April with three months of Tuesday speakers, and three months of ‘RELAX and LEARN’ on a Thursday.
- There will be a six month trial.
All RU3A members are invited to both events there will not be any separation.
Showing off our study groups to exhibit and perform will be like an extension of the excellent RU3A Groups Promotional Video, only on this occasion you will have an opportunity to ask questions or try to perform with one of the more energetic groups. It may even promote some to start new groups, with new subjects. How lovely to have time to chat at length on any subject in a relaxed atmosphere.
My thanks to all who have supported the efforts in continuing to bring us our monthly meetings and study groups, be it in halls or members’ homes and those who have continued to meet in their homes as usual, providing a little of ‘normality’. I am so sorry to members who have not been able to make the journey to the alternative venues and very much look forward to welcoming you back and greeting you at the meetings.
I hope to see you at the AGM, where you will be invited to enjoy a glass of wine and nibbles in celebration of being back home in Our Lady’s church hall. Also, at some of the Christmas festivities arranged for your enjoyment.
It leaves me to wish you a wonderful Christmas and all good health and happiness in the New Year.