Welcome to the Richmond upon Thames U3A website
Retired or semi-retired? Want to make new friends and learn something new? U3A is a co-operative of older people that enables members to share learning, creative and leisure activities.
Richmond University of the Third age
• was launched in 1991
• runs on a self-help basis
• has about 1,000 members
• offers more than 90 groups in varying subjects
• operates through an elected committee
• has membership entirely of volunteers
• depend on the continuing interests of members
• are led by someone who is knowledgeable or enthusiastic about a subject or activity
• have leaders who direct the study of the group and encourage members to contribute
• meet during the daytime, usually in a member’s home
• hire halls when necessary, either for larger groups or because of the nature of the activity
• have the support of a Section Leader for their subject, as well as the local Groups Co-ordinator and National U3A Subject Advisers
• take place at 2.30 p.m. on the last Wednesday of each month, apart from December or if other events e.g. elections have priority use of the Hall
• usually have a speaker details of whom are given in the newsletter and under events
Meetings are held at the Clarendon Hall, York House, Richmond Road, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ. Members pay £1 and non-members £2, which includes refreshments
York House is on the bus routes 33, 68, R70, H22 and 490 (Lebanon Court bus stop)
There is limited car parking for a maximum of two hours
For membership enquiries, please contact David Wood. A membership application form can be downloaded by clicking on the link to the right of this page.
The only cost is an annual membership fee of £15 and some minor expenses such as for refreshments and a share of the cost of renting a room for some larger group meetings. Most groups meet at their leader's home.
If you would like to try us out before committing yourself, please do come along to one of our monthly meetings and we will look forward to welcoming you.
For members who have not yet renewed, please download the renewal form by clicking on the link to the right of this page.