February edition of Newsletter is now available
A new edition of our Newsletter is now available for download from the Welcome page. It will be distributed via e-mail today, and if you're not on e-mail, a limited number of (abridged) printed copies will be available at our AGM on Monday 26th February.
Posted on 19th February 2018
- Wednesday 30th May: Canterbury
- Friday 29th June: Essex countryside with stops in Dedham and Finchingfield
- Tuesday 17th July: Ramsgate
More information from Denise Kaye or on the Outings page.
Posted on 10th February 2018
Coach trip to Brighton and Bramber with the Looking at Art groups
On Tuesday 19th June, the Looking at Art groups are planning a coach outing to St Mary's House in Bramber. St Mary's House is a 15th century timber-framed house with five acres of beautiful gardens and charming cottage-style tea rooms. On the way there will be a stop in Brighton for lunch or whatever. The price is £ 25.00 including coach, entrance, guided tour and a cream tea. Members of the Looking at Art groups will have priority, but all U3A members are welcome to join the waiting list. Contact Vivienne Gold for further information - her phone number is on the Group Information Sheet.
Posted on 29th January 2018
National events now open for booking
The following national U3A events are now open for booking:
- Tuesday 13th March at 11 am: Spanish Treasures at The National Gallery. £ 25.00, more info on the National and Regional Events page. THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED.
- Monday 19th March at 1.45 pm: U3A explores Science at The Royal Institution. £ 21.50, more info on the National and Regional Events page.
- Monday 26th March at 10.30 am: Vote 100: The Journey to Democracy at The British Library. £ 24.00, more info on the National and Regional Events page.
Posted on 21st January 2018, updated on 27th January 2018 and 14th February 2018
January's Noticeboard now available online
The January issue of Noticeboard is now available for download from the Welcome page (in Word or PDF) or the Magazine page (in PDF only). The magazine contains the formal notice of our AGM (see below).
Members who have opted out of e-mail distribution can pick up their printed copy at our Social Afternoon on Monday 29th January. Otherwise, you should receive in the post shortly.
Noticeboard is also available as an e-paper. This can be accessed by following this link: Noticeboard e-paper.
Posted on 26th January 2018
Annual General Meeting on Monday 26th February
This year's AGM will take place at Wanstead Library as part of our regular series of Social Afternoons. Please see the Annual General Meeting page for information about the AGM. It is important that as many members as possible attend the AGM.
Posted on 21st January 2018
New theatre offers
The following shows are now on offer:
- Saturday 21st April at 2 pm at The Kenneth More Theatre: Barnum. £ 12.00, more info on the Theatre (Ilford) page.
- Saturday 28th April at 2 pm at The Kenneth More Theatre: The Unexpected Guest by Agatha Christie. £ 8.00, more info on the Theatre (Ilford) page.
- Wednesday 18th July at 2 pm at The London Palladium: The King and I by Rodgers and Hammerstein. £ 32.50, more info on the Theatre (London) page.
Posted on 21st January 2018
Wanstead Library Car Park - No coins, please!
If you are using the Library car park at Wanstead Library, be aware that it is no longer possible to pay with coins at the machine.
You can now only pay by using your mobile phone, either by calling 020 3046 0010 or by using the RingGo app.
Also, the parking fees have gone up to £1.50 for two hours or £6.00 for the whole day. It is still free for Blue Badge holders, though.
Posted on 21st January 2018
New groups starting up
The following new groups have started or will start soon:
- 1960s pop music
- Coffee Mornings
- Creative Writing C
- Holiday Experiences and Reminiscences
- Medical Ethics and Law
- Photography - This group is now full and there is a waiting list.
Consult the Groups page for the complete list.
Posted on 21st January 2018, updated on 27th January 2018
Cyber attacks on U3A websites
Our website, along with most other U3A websites, were the victims of widespread cyber attacks in the days just before Christmas. As a result, all sites were closed down for 12 days while the U3A SiteBuilder team carried out a major clean up exercise and increased the levels of security and monitoring. The sites were accessible again on Wednesday 3rd January, but updating the individual sites was only allowed after the local web administrator has been issued with a new password. Fortunately, this has now happened, and our website is once again alive and well.
Posted on 7th January 2018
Nominations for Committee
The Annual General Meeting 2018 will be held on Monday 26th February at 2 pm at Wanstead Library, Spratt Hall Road, Wanstead, London E11 2RQ. At the AGM, the Executive Officers and members of the Committee will be elected. Nomination papers will accompany Noticeboard and can also be downloaded from the Annual General Meeting page. Deadline for nominations is Monday 29th January.
Posted on 26th November 2017
- Politics - I'd like there to be a group on Politics but as there isn't one I'm happy to be the facilitator. The group will be run by its members and together we'll decide what to discuss or what to investigate. All welcome—lively speakers as well as quiet listeners. Helga Lee
- Advanced Scrabble - The Advanced Scrabble group meeting every other Monday at 10 am in Clayhall has space for new members. Vivienne Gold
If you are interested in any of the above, contact Liz Kite on 020 8478 1450.
- Photograhy - Anybody interested in joining a Photography Group? Rikki Wallman
- Coffee Mornings and/or Afternoon Tea - If you fancy meeting up for a cup of coffee and chat in the morning… or a cup of tea and a chat in the afternoon, we will try and get a group together to meet up at various places in Redbridge. Stuart Wallman
- Nordic Walking - Nordic Walking is performed with specially designed walking poles similar to ski poles. It provides additional benefits in muscular strength compared to conventional walking and is considered an effective and efficient mode of exercise to improve overall fitness in older adults. Would you like to join a Nordic Walking group? Rikki Wallman
If you are interested in any of the above, contact Rikki Wallman on 020 8500 7760.
Posted on 22nd November 2017, updated on 30th November 2017
U3A National Event on 13th February: Blue skies and fruit flies: Patterns in biology
U3A members are invited to discover how insights from the humble fruit fly could affect human health. Scientists Jean-Paul Vincent and Sophie Herszterg study the incredible complexity of the fruit fly wing to uncover patterns in biology that could affect human health in the future. Tuesday 13th February from 2 to 4pm at The Francis Crick Institute, 1 Midland Road, London NW1 1AT. Attendance is FREE, register by clicking this link: Fruit flies.
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED.
Posted on 22nd November 2017, updated on 23rd January 2018
New Committee members
We are happy to announce the inclusion of two new members to our
U3A Committee. Rikki Wallman will be starting up a Holiday Experiences and Reminiscences Group and is also assisting Liz Kite with the Groups Co-ordinating duties. Stuart Wallman has volunteered to start up Coffe Mornings and/or Afternoon Tea get-togethers and will also take over Sunday Pub Lunches from Liz.
Both of our new committee members have had the cheek to go on holiday in November, so unfortunately we are unable to show you their photographs at this time.
Posted on 22nd November 2017