Welcome to Olton and District U3A
Olton and District had its launch meeting March 2016 and was established in April 2016. Since then we have gone from strength to strength, with a rapidly growing membership and many interest groups.
We meet on the second Tuesday of every month from 1.30 to 3.30 pm with visiting speakers covering a wide range of topics. There is also ample opportunity to chat to one of the committee and mingle with members. New members are always welcome at our monthly meetings.
We meet at: Olton Friary Church Hall, St Bernards Road, Olton, Solihull B92 7BL
PRINCIPLES OF THE U3A MOVEMENT
The U3A movement is non-religious and non-political and has three main principles:
The Third Age Principle
• Membership of a U3A is open to all in their third age, which is defined not by a particular age but by a period in life in which full time employment has ceased.
• Members promote the values of lifelong learning and the positive attributes of belonging to a U3A.
• Members should do all they can to ensure that people wanting to join a U3A can do so.
The Self-help Learning Principle
• Members form interest groups covering as wide a range of topics and activities as they desire; by the members, for the members.
• No qualifications are sought or offered. Learning is for its own sake, with enjoyment being the prime motive, not qualifications or awards.
• There is no distinction between the learners and the teachers; they are all U3A members.
The Mutual Aid Principle
• Each U3A is a mutual aid organisation, operationally independent but a member of The Third Age Trust, which requires adherence to the guiding principles of the U3A movement.
• No payments are made to members for services rendered to any U3A.
• Each U3A is self-funded with membership subscriptions and costs kept as low as possible.
• Outside financial assistance should only be sought if it does not imperil the integrity of the U3A movement.