Meeting 2019 05
Notes taken at the General Meeting Tuesday 14th May 2019
held at The Lane Theatre, Newquay
1) Welcome: Gret gave an especial welcome to visitors and new members then pointed out the fire exits before asking people to make sure their handbags were tucked out of the way and their phones were switched off or on silent.
2) Apologies: John Mankelow, David Stevens.
3) Minutes of the General Meeting held on 9th April 2019 were approved and signed as a correct record by Gret Woodason. Copies were available for perusal on the notice board.
4) Matters arising: No matters were raised.
5) Chairman’s Report:
- Gret mentioned that Isabel Pascoe had passed away in Falmouth on 24th March, and explained that she had run Spanish Groups in U3A and was engaged in various activities in Newquay, including being on Newquay Town Council. There would be a celebration of her life on 5th June.
- Gret then informed the audience of an email that had been sent to the Committee from a member who had complained that Group Leaders were no longer given any time to speak about their past events at General Meetings. The discussion at the last Committee Meeting concluded that in the past there had been fewer groups and fewer members. Now there was not enough time to do this, as some people were already itching to leave after the speaker had finished. It had been suggested we could extend the meeting, but we are booked for 3 hours from 9:30 to 12:30 and it would cost more. Some group leaders would not want to stand and talk at each meeting, which would give an unbalanced representation of all the groups. There was an opportunity for Group Leaders to speak about their past events at the September meeting, or they could email reports for the Newsletter or to put on the Website and/or Facebook. Gret asked that, if anyone disagreed with the Committee’s conclusions, they should put their comments in the suggestions box or email the Committee.
6) Treasurer’s Report: Dave said the report was on the notice board:
|Current Income for Year||£3,067|
|Estimated Expenditure for Year||£3,500|
|Petty Cash||£ 136|
|Refreshment Fund||£ 280|
7) Groups Reports:
- Play Reading Group: Margaret H spoke on behalf of Chris and Annie from the Play Reading Group, saying that 2 members of the group had dropped out so new members were welcome to join, although they could only be a small group due to the number of parts in the plays they read. They get a good mix of plays.
- Antiques Group: The 20th May meeting is a visit to Predeau Place, Padstow: meet at 10:30am in the car park, for the 11am guided tour. £9 per person.
- Garden Visits Group: Margaret L announced:-
- - Heligan Gardens on Tue 21st May: Margaret L said the coach was full and would be departing 6 Veor Road at 10am arriving at about 10:45am.
- - Rosemoor on Tue 25th June: 26 have booked on the coach so far but there is an option to book a bigger coach. Coach will leave at 9am with a 2 hour journey, and return home will be 6pm to 6:30pm. Deposit £15 for the coach. Entrance to Rosemoor is £7.
- Food with Friends: New members are welcome. The next meal will be on 20th May at 6:30pm at the Smugglers Den Inn, Cubert.
- Geology and Wildlife Guided Walk: Friday 17th May at Watergate Bay. This is a private event organised for the Nature Study Saunter Group, guided by Gus Horsley, a local geologist and wildlife expert. It is open for the whole of U3A to join in. Meet on Watergate Bay Beach, below the Beach Hut at 11am. 10:35am bus from Newquay arrives 10:51am.
- Lighthouse Cinema: We can order any films we would like to see provided we have at least 50 people who want to see it. We have so far been given a list of three films by one U3A member. Please email or put any suggestions in the suggestion box. If we get enough interest we could maybe start a Film Club Group. Offers of a volunteer to lead this group are welcome.
- Silver Screen has now stopped for the season.
8) Miscellaneous Social Activities:-
- Probus trip to Exeter on Thursday 20th June leaving at 9am, to arrive at about 11am. Cost will be about £12 plus three optional tours £35: Cathedral, roof, underground, eaves and passages, and the harbour area. Return 4pm to arrive home 6:30pm. Contact John Woodason.
- Newquay Library Thurs 16th 7-9pm Ol an Gwella male voice choir.
- Flower Festival at St Michael’s 23rd to 27th May. Various themes.
- Trenance Cottages Spring Fayre Sunday 19th 10am – 4pm.
9) Next General Meeting: Tuesday 11th June 10:30am for 11:00am at the Lane Theatre. Speaker will be John Peter Santi from Gweek Seal Sanctuary.