Meeting 2018 10
Notes from the General Meeting Tuesday 9th October 2018
Speaker: Rosie Woodman from the Cornwall Refuge Trust
Rosie, a full-time paid member of CRT staff, gave us an enlightening and interesting talk about the very worthy work done by the CRT to help vulnerable male, female and transgender victims of all aspects of domestic abuse, by both male and female abusers. She explained what was entailed protecting these victims from being found by their abusive partners. After this she showed the audience three different case studies, and engaged the audience by asking whether the victims were male or female. There were lots of questions asked by the audience, who obviously found the talk interesting.
- Car Parking We need a volunteer to act as a marshal in the Lane Theatre car park at our next meeting, which should help the parking situation.
- Volunteers Other volunteers to help out at meetings would be welcome. Volunteers are also needed to join our Committee.
- New Members We are getting a steady flow of new members. Please look out for them at meetings and help to make them feel welcome.
- December General Meeting Entertainment: Think about what you or your group could do to entertain other members at the December General Meeting.
Membership Secretary’s Report
There were 80 members at the meeting including 4 new members, plus 4 visitors. Some people still have not signed their GDPR forms. Please make sure they are returned by the next meeting.
Groups Coordinator’s Report
- Nature Study Saunter: This is a new group with its first meeting at Newquay Community Orchard on Monday 15th October at 11am.
- Indoor Games Afternoons: This is a new group with its first meeting to be held at the Lanherne TBA. Currently we have 6 people interested. We could really do with a few more for some of the games. Please use the send a message link to email Valerie.
- Walking Group: There is no walk on Tuesday 16th October as Sheila is away, unless someone wants to organise one.
- Garden Visits: There will be no garden visit this month, which was scheduled for 23rd October.
- Family History: At the library on Wednesdays 24th and 31st October 1-2pm. Bring along grandparents’ details of names and dates of birth. Sheila will instruct how to use the computers.
- Antiques and Collectables: The meeting time has been changed to 10:00am and there will be a speaker, subject: Glass.
- Poppies for the Library: Thursday 1st November at the Lanherne. Come with or without red wool and size 9 needles as help and materials will be available.
- Social Group: There is now no leader for this group. We need a volunteer.
Garden Appreciation Group:
- Eden Project Trip had to be cancelled because Newquay Lions, from whom we hire a mini bus, could not get a driver for that date. Bigger coaches are only used for trips further afield, as they are too expensive for shorter journeys.
- Trelawney Garden Centre Wadebridge PL27 6JA: Tuesday November 27th where some Xmas shopping can be done.
- Garden Group Xmas lunch: December 12th is the revised date at the Bay Tree Restaurant in Goonhavern Garden Centre. Bookings with £5 deposits for this at November GM.
Other Miscellaneous Social Activities:-
- Xmas Concert at St Michaels: Newquay Choral Society Saturday 16th December 7pm £6
- Silver Screen: Thursday 18th October: The Children Act, with Emma Thompson
- Simon Weston CBE: Saturday 23rd February 7:30pm at the Lane Theatre £18