Nature Study Saunter
Due to the Coronavirus Crisis, meetings were suspended until further notice. Please check to see if they are now going ahead.
New Group Leader needed
This is a group for people who just want a gentle stroll in the open air with some company, whilst studying the flora and fauna, geology or marine life in areas around Newquay or a bus ride away, followed by a brew and bite in a nearby cafe or pub. Meetings are arranged ad hoc, usually at short notice, and notified to Saunter Group members by email.
Themes could be:-
• Wandering around beaches as we study various marine life, bagging up plastic waste washed up by the tide as we go
• Strolling along footpaths photographing different wildflowers
• Peering in rock pools for marine life
• Watching birds around a lake or river
• Admiring gardens while sauntering around a village
• Spotting sea life around a harbour or headland
• Visiting Nature Reserves, Animal Sanctuaries or even Newquay Zoo
• Identifying trees and plants
• Looking at rocks and pebbles (we had a couple of guided geology walks to start us off, but now we are on our own)
Walks will be as short as the group members present on the walk can do comfortably. Those that want a longer walk can stride out and meet up with us again later. Hopefully we can finish off with a brew and bite somewhere. In wet weather we can meet in a nearby café or pub to discuss what we've learned so far and our future plans. We have plenty of Nature Study books, and of course the internet, to do our research.
Click on a picture below to see it full-size with more details.