Due to the Coronavirus Crisis, Creative Writing meetings are suspended until further notice
If you want to carry on writing, that would be great. We can share our writing efforts via email or save them until this crisis is over. We now have a Virtual Newquay U3A Blog to help keep our Newquay U3A members in touch. We would appreciate some Creative Writing material to add to it, so please send your stories, memoirs, poems etc to Creative Writing to add to the blog. However, please be aware that this will mean that you have in effect published your work and would not ever be able to send it to be published elsewhere as an original publication.
MORE MEMBERS WELCOME
and a new Group Leader is needed when we resume our actual activities.
We are looking for more members for our small Newquay U3A Creative Writing group so, if you would like to write your memoirs and/or some short stories and/or write poems, then come along and join us. No Creative Writing experience is necessary. You just need a vivid imagination and a desire to put pen to paper. If you would like to join our group of writers, please email.
What we do at our meetings:-
• Read out a story we wrote last month
• Read out a poem we wrote last month
• Discuss how we got our inspiration for what we wrote
• Read out the next chapter in our “Round Robin” story
• Describe a character we will create a story around
• Choose a prompt for a story to write next month
(This could be from a first line prompt, a picture, a headline or anything that crops up in discussion)
• Choose a subject and/or style for a poem to write
• Discuss and share any creative writing competitions and useful writing websites
• Discuss ideas for other ways we can use our writing skills
• To produce a book of the Creative Writing Group’s short stories and poems for Newquay U3A members to read
• To write a Murder Mystery comedy play
• To provide material for the Newquay U3A Newsletter and Website
FIRST LINE PROMPTS (examples)
If you are stuck for an idea of what to write about to bring to your first meeting with us, here are a few first line prompts:-
- It was just a friendly hug, wasn’t it?
- He walked the beach every night at twilight, searching for something.
- All she had to do was hit the button and in thirty seconds…
- I knew it was just my imagination, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was being watched.
- Her hands shook as she read her own birth certificate.