Meeting 2020 01
Notes taken at the General Meeting Tuesday 14th January 2020 held at the Lane Theatre, Newquay
Present at the Meeting: 82 (plus 5 visitors)
1) Welcome: Gret introduced herself as the Chairman, pointed out the fire exits and asked people to make sure their handbags were tucked out of the way and their phones were switched off or on silent. Gret then introduced the speaker: Sean Sweeney from Hall for Cornwall.
2) Hall for Cornwall: Sean Sweeney, the Fundraising Officer for Hall for Cornwall, outlined the background of the Hall for Cornwall, and told us about their development plans. This is a £21.6m project, for which they get funding from various different entities, including Cornwall Council, HM Government, the European Union, the Lottery Heritage Fund, the Arts Council and CIoS LEP. With improved access and increased seating in the stalls, circle and upper balcony they will have a much increased capacity of 1354, which should attract the bigger shows to Truro. Sean played us several different videos during his talk, including their Open Day Film, a poem about the Hall written and narrated by Callum Mitchell and an illustrated poem written and narrated by year 2 children. The Hall for Cornwall is on target for reopening in Autumn 2020.
3) Business Meeting: Gret thanked Sean Sweeney for his enlightening talk and invited him to stay for our business meeting.
4) Apologies: None.
5) Minutes of the General Meeting held on 10th December 2019 were approved and signed as a correct record by the Chairman. Copies were available for perusal on the notice board.
6) Matters arising: No matters were raised.
7) Chairman’s Report:
- 1) Car Parking: Gret reminded us that because the car park gets very full, we are desperate for a couple of volunteers to be car park marshals.
- 2) Secretary and Membership Secretary: Gret said that we thankfully have had two volunteers to join the Committee to do these roles next year, and thanked the members concerned for volunteering.
- 3) Post Xmas Lunch: Gret said that the post Xmas meal at the Atlantic Hotel was excellent and, as far as she knew from going around the tables on the day, everyone enjoyed it.
8) Secretary’s Report:
- 1) National U3A Day: Our first Task Group Meeting to brainstorm expansion ideas will be held on Thursday 16th January from 2pm. We welcome non-committee members to come forward to join our small group.
9) Interest Groups:
- 1) Groups Coordinator Powerpoint Presentation: David Stevens said that he had a new computer and the Powerpoint Presentation was running well in the auditorium before the business meeting. However, he was not getting many photos to show and asked for Group Leaders to send more.
- 2) Pub / Pub Games Group: David Stevens told us that there were seven at the inaugural meeting for the new Pub / Pub Games Group, held at the Tavern Inn after last month’s meeting. He hoped people would join us again after the meeting today. He had brought several pub games to play.
- 3) Murder Mysteries: Valerie Tams is running some Murder Mystery games, with 8 parts and 2 reserves per session. Please sign up for them and indicate if you are interested in future Murder Mysteries.
- 4) Amateur Music Group: If anyone can play an instrument and would like to join an Amateur Music Group, please let Valerie Tams know and we will see if we can find a venue where we can practice.
- 5) Garden Appreciation: Margaret said there are no actual garden visits during January and February and she will be away for the next two months. However:
- i) 28th Jan: Sheilah will run the Beetle Drive at the Tavern, accessed by the 85 or 87 buses.
- ii) 25th Feb: Dot will run the quiz to be held at Quintrell Downs Garden Centre cafe.
- iii) March: Garden visits will restart.
- 6) Antiques and Collectables: The answers to the Antiques Quiz that was in the December Newsletter are on the notice board.
- 7) Cornish Dancing: Sheilah said that the Cornish Dancers and the Singing for Fun Group had entertained the Memory Club at Crantock.
10) Next General Meeting: Tuesday 11th February 2020 10:15am for 11:00am at the Lane Theatre.
Speaker: Lynn Bartrip-Kay from Newquay Purple Angels, about dealing with dementia.