Meeting 2019 12
Notes taken at the General Meeting Tuesday 10th December 2019 held at the Lane Theatre, Newquay
Present at the Meeting: 71 (plus 1 visitor)
1) Welcome: Gret introduced herself as the Chairman, pointed out the fire exits and asked people to make sure their handbags were tucked out of the way and their phones were switched off or on silent.
2) Apologies: June Colwill, Jennie Barnes.
3) Minutes of the General Meeting held on 12th November 2019 were approved and signed as a correct record by the Chairman. Copies were available for perusal on the notice board.
4) Matters arising: No matters were raised.
5) Chairman’s Report:
1) Committee roles required next year: Gret reminded us that we will need a new Secretary and also a new Membership Secretary next year. We therefore need volunteers to join the Committee as soon as possible to learn the ropes for either of these roles.
2) Thanks to Lane Theatre Staff: Gret thanked Roger and Ann, the Lane Theatre staff, for all their help organising the venue, and Ann Masters for opening up for us.
6) Secretary’s Report:
1) Key Committee Roles: John reiterated that the key Committee positions of Secretary and Membership Secretary needed to be filled. Help will be given by other Committee Members to those willing to volunteer.
2) Post Xmas Lunch: John reminded us of the Post Xmas Lunch on 10th January at the Atlantic Hotel. Pre-ordered menu choices should be made along with the full payment, by bank transfer, cash or cheque. Deadline for payment Friday 27th December. Contact John or other Committee Members.
3) U3A Day 3rd June 2020: We hope to mark this day by celebrating our expansion. We welcome non-committee members to come forward to join an “Expansion Group” of about 6 – 8 members, to brainstorm expansion ideas.
7) Interest Groups:
1) Antiques Group: Next meeting is Monday 16th December, which will be a Christmas Past theme and Christmas Social. Details are on the Events Sheet.
2) Pub / Pub Games Group: David Stevens reminded us that the inaugural meeting for the new Pub / Pub Games Group will be held at the Tavern Inn after this meeting, when we will discuss when and where to hold the January meeting.
8) Any Other Business:
1) Powerpoint Presentation of Past Group Activities: David Stevens apologised for not running the Powerpoint Presentation this month, but he now has a new computer and will run it next month. He appealed to Group Leaders to send photos of their activities.
2) Photos on OneDrive: David will show people who are interested how to put their photos on OneDrive at the next meeting.
9) Next General Meeting: Tuesday 14th January 2020 10:15am for 11:00am at the Lane Theatre.
Speaker: Sean Sweeney from the Hall for Cornwall.
10) In House Entertainment:
1. John Woodason Singing for Fun Group: 2 ‘Show’ Songs:
‘Wouldn’t it be Luverly’
‘Get me to the Church on Time’
2. David Stevens STAND UP BINGO: Wine for winner / Chocolate for booby prize
3. Janet Wilkins Longer Walking Group Leader: Poem: ‘50 shades of Grey’
4. Pauline and Cheryl French Conversation Group: Franglais Sketch: ‘Buying a Turkey’
5. John Woodason Anecdote: ‘It all makes sense now!’
6. David Stevens STAND UP BINGO: Wine for winner / Chocolate for booby prize
7. Pauline and Cheryl French Conv Group: Franglais Poem: ‘While Shepherds Watched”
8. John Woodason Anecdote: ‘Bear with me’
9. Gret Woodason Anecdote: ‘An Obedient Wife’
10. John Woodason Singing for Fun Group: 2 Christmas Songs:
‘Walking in a Winter Wonderland’
‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer’
1 Carol: ‘Ding Dong Merrily on High’
11) Chairman’s Final Greeting: Gret finalised the meeting by wishing us all a Happy Christmas.