Right now, we are a full Book Group of ten members. If, however, you would like to join our group and would be prepared to obtain the book we are reading yourself, then we would be more than pleased to see you at our monthly discussion meeting (details below).
We began in January 2016 and these are some of the books we have read:
- The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (a very controversial book that provoked a lot of discussion and has become our “benchmark”)
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie ( an insightful, female, black, Nigerian perspective on immigration into the American dream)
- The Fat Years by Chan Koonchung (a most interesting and readable flavour of today's China, although the story itself was a bit weak)
- The Secret History by Donna Tart (an excellent thriller about deviant university students and ...well, you read it!)
- The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton (an easy-read thriller set in deep, mid-winter Alaska, about a search for a missing family member)
- The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett (an excellent shortish story, full of his usual wit and delightful language. Well worth a read and it will surely bring a smile to your day!).
- To the Lighthouse by Virginia Wolfe (not so much a story as a process, written in a "stream of consciousness" technique. Not for the faint-hearted!).
- Next book – Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell
The books are borrowed as "book group sets" of 10 from Newbury Library.
We meet in the Museum Cafe, in The Wharf, Newbury, on the 4th Friday in the month, 10.30am 'til 12pm.
What we do:- we buy our coffee/tea etc. in the cafe and relax for an hour or so's chat about that month's book choice.
Then we go along to the library to return the books and collect the new ones.
To contact the Group Leader click on "Send a Message" box in the top right hand corner.
Or phone the Office on 01635 760346 or email email@example.com