Savings and Investment
The U3A Savings and Investments Group meets on the third Monday every month between October and May to discuss and share experiences of financial matters: we discuss topics that appear in the Money sections of the weekend newspapers.
Meetings are held at 2 o’clock in a conference room in Broadway House in the same building as the U3A office. We use the laptop connected to the screen and play pertinent video clips from the internet and audio clips from the Moneybox radio programme. Occasionally, we have guest speakers but most meetings are discussions amongst ourselves.
Each session addresses one or more themes. Topics which come up most frequently are:
- Where to go for the best interest rates from Building Societies, Banks and National Savings
- Funds and fund managers including ETFs, OEICs, Unit Trusts, and Investment Trusts
- Strategies for choosing which shares to buy
- Scams and Identity Theft
- Planning for the end of the tax year and understanding capital gains
- Where to go to get sound independent financial advice
- Power of Attorney.
We always try to be topical and in the sessions this past year have discussed investment topics such as:
- Peer to peer lending
- Alternative Investment Market AIM
- Crisis in Ukraine and Crimea
- Should we buy Saga shares?
So if you want to find your way through the money jungle why not give our group a go. We are small group by U3A standards but are friendly with our members coming from a variety of backgrounds: some are seasoned investors whereas others are just coming to terms with the subject. We try to respect each other and avoid prying into each other’s financial affairs. The more experienced are keen to share their knowledge. Before coming for the first time just phone the office to check whether the group is running.
It is an interactive group and we encourage our members to get involved in the discussion. We all learn from each other’s experiences and mistakes. Members are also encouraged to take a lead role in presenting topics.
- MEETINGS: 3rd Monday in the month at 2pm
- VENUE: Broadway House, Northbrook Street, Newbury.
U3A WEALTH WARNING: The Savings and Investments Group cannot guarantee to make you rich and some investments can go down in value as well as up: but we will try to keep you interested and amused.
To contact the Group Leader click on "Send a Message" on link on the right, phone the Office on 01635 760346 or email email@example.com