Some Key features of the Current Affairs group are listed below:-
- The group coordinator is Joan Coverley.
- The group meets at the Group Leader's home on the third Friday of each month.
- Meetings start at 10.00am with a cup of tea/coffee and chewing the fat on the news of the day, and end around 11.30 to noon-ish.
- Proceedings are respectful and members are keen to listen to alternative points of view.
- The chair is to be rotated. At the start of each meeting the subject of the next meeting and the chair for that meeting are to be agreed.
- Any group member making statistical, or factual, claims in a discussion must be prepared to back these claims with evidence or provide references as necessary.
If you are interested in joining this group then use "Click to send a message" to contact the group leader by email.
The next meeting will be on Friday 17th May at 10am at Joan's home.
On her appointment to the John Smith Centre for Public Service at Glasgow University, Kezia Dugdale told the Scotsman:
“Disruptive events and the rise of populism has led to increasingly polarised and emotional politics where rational, evidence-based thinking has lost its standing. Faith in public service, politics and the political process has to be restored and that progress must be sustainable.”
How would we advise Kezia?