Food Appreciation Group (FAG)
Frequency: Events are organised once a month.
Time: Varies according to the event. Some events take place in the evenings.
Venue: Longhirst Village Hall, visits and sometimes restaurants
The Food Appreciation Group (FAG) aims to explore all aspects of food appreciation, including production, regulation, experimentation and of course consumption! We are keen to learn more about what we eat and we are fortunate that our membership includes nutritionists, keen amateur cooks, those in touch with scientific developments in food production, and, of course, we all enjoy the social aspects of sharing food.
Our events have included ;
- Food demonstrations and tastings.
- Food events with a theme - Mexican Feast, Italian Food, Afternoon Tea, Geordie Night
- Visiting commercial food businesses i.e. organic farms, bakeries, an ice cream parlour
- A Summer Picnic where members provide the food and we eat (hopefully) alfresco.
- A regular summer barbecue
- Presentations by our members
We share at least one session a year with the Wine Appreciation Group for a shared supper, and we join sometimes with the Gardens Group, as we have much in common!
Our annual programme is planned together with suggestions from the group, and the organisation is shared with those who volunteer to do so.
Two false myths - "I am gluten-free so it's not for me" and "I am not a good cook so I wouldn't be able to join"
Members with dietary requirements are always catered for, and no-one needs to cook if they do not want to!
We welcome new members, and if you wish to join our group or want to know more please click on the envelope logo and send me an email.