Current Affairs 1
|Group Organiser||Joe Cannavina|
|Venue||Member House (cancelled during lockdown)|
|Meeting Days||Second Tuesday of the Month (pm)|
|Group Vacancies?||No, but waiting list available|
Since August part of the group designated Group1 has met on Tuesdays in a member’s house that limits the number that can attend. The group’s focus has been towards Current Affairs and Political Science and the topics that have been discussed are:
1. World population growth and the problems of feeding it.
2. The legitimacy of government with the focus of
- What is legitimacy?
- What makes government acceptable to its people?
- Why do we need government?
- Is our government democratic?
- Is it democracy that makes it legitimate - perhaps not?
- The structure of the EU (Council, Commission, Parliament etc.)
- The judgement handed down by the High Court, which sets a precedent for the regulation of parliament by the Courts.
3. Redistribution of wealth
- Discussion based on "Capital In The 21st Century " by Thomas Pinketty
The topic for the next meeting is:
Please contact Joe Cannavina for more details.