Current Affairs 2
|Group Organiser||Joe Cannavina|
|Venue||Rochester Library (online during lockdown)|
|Meeting Days||Last Thursday of the Month (pm)|
|Group Vacancies?||Yes (New members are welcome)|
The group designated Group 2 has met on Thursdays in Rochester Library but since lockdown has met online. The group’s focus has been towards Current Affairs and Sociology. The group selected the topics for discussion and voted on the order for the topics to be discussed:
Topics that have been discussed:
1. Healthcare and social care policies
2. The effect of immigration policies
3. Should your vote always count?
4. The role and control of the media
5. Pollution and the environment
6. Aging and the elderly
7. Welfare benefits system - it is fit for purpose?
8. Should we increase childcare fees or increase parents’ ability to stay at home?
9. Are women equal yet?
10. What is privilege?
11. Should 16yr olds be allowed the vote?
12. Is surveillance by agencies of the state and/or private entities an aid to the security and safety of the populace, or an infringement of civil liberty?
13. Why aren’t UK politics as polarised as the Americans? Are we just too British?
14. Should people take personal responsibility for their own health or should they be "nudged" in to making healthier choices?
Topics to be discussed
1. How does health policy impact on society?
2.Should the provision of adult social care be a personal responsibility?
3.Should we become the United States of Great Britain? Is that preferable to independence for Scotland?
Please contact Joe Cannavina for more details.