Further Landmarks Children
Further Landmarks in Children's Literature
THCC Thursdays 1000-1200 fortnightly from 16th Jan
This course continues into next term Tutor: Nick Tucker
Please note that all members wanting to attend this course must apply using the green form.
Once again we will talk about major works in children’s literature, looking at their history and authors before moving on to their relevance today. A modest amount of reading is required.
The following topics will be covered in the Spring term
1. C.S.Lewis and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Philip Pullman hates it – do you?
2. J.R.R.Tolkien and The Hobbit. Still a tale for our time?
3. Noel Streatfeild and Ballet Shoes. The first career story but something more too.
4. Eve Garnett and The Family from One End Street. Ground-breaking realism or patronising fantasy? She lived in Lewes till her death, and drew on the town in her illustrations.
5. Over to you. Please come prepared to speak for just a few minutes about your own favourite childhood book other than any of those we have already discussed. Bring the book with you if you can. Why do you think it meant so much to you at the time? How do you feel about it now?