- The drop-in coffee and chat sessions, which were very successful last year, are continuing. Come along on the 4th Tuesday in the month to 'The Snug' in Truleigh Scrumptious Cafe, Broadway West, opposite Leigh Library, anytime between 10.30 and midday. Open to all members. The first meeting of the year is on Tuesday 23rd January.
- Please click the link on the right to find out more about the Shared Learning Project.
- GREAT GROUP CHRISTMAS BAKE OFF
- What a fantastic time we all had viewing and eating cakes! The standard was incredible. Many thanks to all those who took part, helped or contributed in any way to make it a success. To view the many photos, click on the Great Group Christmas Bake Off link on the right.
- Congratulations to the winners:
- Sue Wright - Play Reading 1 - Best sponge cake
- Margaret Dunley - Discussion Group - Best fruit cake
- Mike Dias - Ukulele - Best decorated cake
- You can get a newsletter from the National Office of U3A by going to u3a.org.uk/email and signing up for news, events and regional updates straight to your mailbox. There is an advert in the latest edition of Third Age Matters magazine (TAM) on page 9.
- If you like the TAM and Sources magazines please can you send off the Reader Survey in TAM. This can be done online by post or by smart phone. This is very important as these magazines may be lost if U3A members don't say they like receiving them. They let people know what the U3A is all about and give ideas and news of other U3As. It is important that everyone continues to get both magazines so that U3A members recognise they are part of a larger organisation.
- The Leigh Society have produced a calendar which contains many photographs taken by members of our own Photography Group. Jennifer Simpson will be selling these for £5 each at the next speaker meeting on the 16th November at Wesley Methodist Church. Please visit her on her Clay Modelling group table. All sales will go to support the running of the Heritage Centre in Old Leigh.
- Barbara Zybutz has taken on the role of Almoner for our U3A. Please click on the link on the right of this page or the Contacts page to find out more.
- If you haven't already booked your place for next year's holiday to Warwickshire, then please have a look at what's on offer. Just click on the itinerary link on the Travel Group page or contact Lorna Reeve at email@example.com to find out more details. Deadline for booking is 31st December.
- The speaker meeting this month generated some very positive comments about the new venue from our members. We also received the following message from Alan, the Property and Lettings Coordinator at Wesley Methodist Church:
- Just thought I'd drop you a line to say that U3A's hire of the church was mentioned at last night's Church Council meeting, as an example of how well things can work! We were delighted by the way it went, a testament to the planning which your team put into it, and it was so nice to see so many new faces in the space, helping us to fulfil our ambition to provide a place used not only for worship but for the wider community to enjoy and benefit from.
- CHRISTMAS EVENT
- It was announced at the Group Contacts Meeting recently that there will be a special event at our Christmas meeting on Thursday 7th December. We are having a Great Group Christmas Bake Off. If you would like to take part by baking a cake to represent your group, then please speak to your Group Contact, who will have all of the details or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that our monthly speaker meetings will be held at the Wesley Methodist Church from the September meeting onwards.
- Any gardeners out there? Please see the link on the right entitled Southend in Transition for details of local events you might be interested in. For full access to the document, click on 'Enable Editing' at the top. To open a link to a relevant webpage (text in blue) hold down the control key (ctrl) on your keyboard and left click your mouse button on the blue text.
- Group News: London Visit group 1 has vacancies. Please leave a message for Linda Butler on the group page if you would like to join.
- Visiting Gardens 2 is a recently formed group but is not up and running yet. The group is planning to meet at the beginning of 2018 to plan garden visits for the year. Please leave a message for Barbara Hull on her group page if you are interested in joining them.
- Please be quick to book your places on the U3A Study Day at Maldon on Tuesday 24th October, as places are filling up fast. You will have received full details and the booking form by email or post at the end of June.
- IMPORTANT NEWS It was announced at the monthly speaker meeting this month that we will be moving over the road to the Wesley Methodist Church for our speaker meetings, starting on September 21st. The meeting at the Leigh Community Centre on August 17th will be the last one at that venue. Please make a note in your diaries.
- Marilyn Abraham has set up drop-in coffee and chat sessions, which will be held on the 4th Tuesday in the month at The Snug, TruLeigh Scrumptious Cafe, Broadway West, opposite Leigh Library. Drop in anytime between 10.30 and midday. Open to all members. The dates are: August 22nd, September 26th, October 24th and November 28th. This will continue after these dates if supported by members.
- The following new groups have been suggested: Talk Sport, Book Group 2, Quiz, Bridge for Beginners (needs a knowledgeable person to teach the members) and Visiting Gardens 2. Anyone interested in joining a new group, please contact the Group Coordinator, Marilyn Abraham via the Group Enquiries email link on the Contacts page or on 07947 023803.
- The following existing groups have vacancies: Art for Pleasure and Marine Forum.
- Members Interested?
- Terry Steel’s Astor Big Band and singers, together with our guests, the Leigh Operatic & Dramatic Society, present ‘Miller Plays the Musicals’ at the Palace Theatre, Southend on Sept 23nd 2017 at 3 pm. This show is our tribute to Glenn Miller and other great big bands, and to their singers like Frank Sinatra and the Andrews Sisters. Plus, songs from musicals, old and new, presented in the big band style. All our profits, and a collection at this performance, go to the Royal British Legion to support their work with PTSD sufferers. Tickets are available via the website https://southendtheatres.org.uk/Online/tickets-miller-plays-the-musicals-southend-2017 or Box Office Tel: 01702 351135
- Jennifer Simpson is re-launching the Clay Modelling Group. Please visit the webpage to find out more.
- Please take a look at the stunning photos taken by the Photography Group. Follow the link on the right on their web page to the 'Colours' page to view them.
- The Gilbert and Sullivan Group is under way and has a limited amount of vacancies for anyone that is interested. Please make contact via the group web page.
Click on a picture below to see it full-size with more details.