- Despite a bit of a chill in the weather, we had a superb turn out at our January meeting when Noel Kelleway spoke to us about the History of Southend; an interesting topic with clearly a lot more to to be said than time allowed. Noel mentioned an amusing spoof song "Sometimes our Pier's on Fire" to be found on You Tube that includes a number of old photos of the Southend area; if you want to take a look it can be found by clicking on the link to the right hand side of this page.
- Judging by the size of the crowd gathered around Marilyn's "Groups table" at the end of the meeting there is a lot of interest in groups; so will we be seeing new groups starting up or was it all interest in existing groups?
- We are looking for new group leaders to take over on Local Walks 2, Walking with Lunch and Serendipity ... anyone willing to assist and help avoid these groups from closing down? Please contact Marilyn, group co-ordinator, if you can help out.
- Things are looking good for a Table Tennis group every Monday morning at the MegaCentre as they are now taking longer term bookings again. If you are interested in joining this new group please contact group co-ordinator, Marilyn Abraham, via the contact page. Fingers crossed there will be enough interest to get this off the ground.
- It is also looking promising that we will get a second London Visits group running. We have a member willing to organise some trips and act as group contact. Again if interested in joining this group then please let Marilyn Abraham know via the contact page.
- A very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all our members
- Our Great Group Christmas Outfit was attended by over 200 members - a record number. Thank you to all those people who took part by making or modelling an outfit and the members who came to the event in their festive Christmas clothing. The photos from the event are on the link on the right. The results were as follows:
- 1st prize - Craft
- 2nd prize - Friday Table Tennis
- 1st prize - Maths for Fun
- 2nd prize - Fashion
- We are busy planning our Great Group Christmas Outfit competition on December 6th at the Wesley Methodist Church. Come in your festive clothing and meet Father Christmas, guess who he /she is (you can ask 2 questions that require a 'yes' or 'no' answer). Father Christmas will either nod or shake their head.
- Our independent judges will tell you about themselves and their business and then judge the group outfit entries. Join us for a cup of tea, Christmas cake and mince pies whilst the judges make their decision.
- We'll then return to the main church area for the results and prizes. You, the members, will also choose a group outfit prize winner as well, so come along, support your group and have a fun afternoon with us.
- Southend Apple Day - Saturday 6th October, 11.00 - 14.00 Come along to St Laurence Orchard, Eastwoodbury Lane (opposite St Laurence Park), Southend-on-Sea, SS2 6UY. Free family event – open to all! Come celebrate our annual Apple Day at historic St Laurence Orchard!
- Apple tasting and pressing
- Apple peeling contest
- Apples and plants for sale
- Orchard tours
- Homemade cakes and apple treats
- Local groups (including SEEOG)
- Children’s arts and crafts
- Join us and embrace all things apple! More information: 01702 213134
- PROMS IN THE PARK Saturday 1st September. For more details please click the link on the right.
- There is a new shared learning project involving members of local U3A's and The Heritage Centre, Leigh, in which they are transcribing documents about A VICTORIAN ANTIQUARIAN’S HISTORY OF LEIGH. If you are interested, please click the link on the right hand side of this page for more information.
- There is no speaker meeting at the church on Thursday 16th August as we will be at Saxon Hall for our Summer Lunch.
- Please don't forget to come along to our AGM on Thursday 21st June. We will need a quorum of members to validate our proceedings. The AGM will be followed by our speaker and refreshments.
- Leigh-on-Sea U3A's Gardens Group are organising a coach trip to Cambridge Botanic Gardens and Wimpole Hall on Wednesday 20th June, and have invited any Leigh Estuary members that are interested to join them. The price is £37 which includes coach and admission to both gardens. Pick-ups along the London Road, starting at Chalkwell Park at 9 am, to arrive in Cambridge at around 11 am. There is a good cafe for lunch at the gardens and the coach will be leaving at 1.30 to arrive at Wimpole Hall at 2 pm. The coach will be leaving Wimpole Hall at 4.30 pm for the return journey, arriving back in Leigh at approx 6.30 pm. Payment to be made by June 14th. If interested, contact Jennifer Simpson on 01702 712922.
- The tickets for our Summer Lunch have now gone on sale. You can buy an individual ticket, a table of 8 or a table of 12. The menu can be viewed from the link on the Events page. Tickets are available at a main meeting.
- If you haven't renewed your membership by now, please do so at the next main meeting or by post as it is now overdue.
- The drop-in coffee and chat sessions, which were very successful last year, are continuing. Come along on the 4th Tuesday in the month to 'The Snug' in Truleigh Scrumptious Cafe, Broadway West, opposite Leigh Library, anytime between 10.30 and midday. Open to all members. The first meeting of the year is on Tuesday 23rd January.
- Please click the link on the right to find out more about the Shared Learning Project.
- GREAT GROUP CHRISTMAS BAKE OFF
- What a fantastic time we all had viewing and eating cakes! The standard was incredible. Many thanks to all those who took part, helped or contributed in any way to make it a success. To view the many photos, click on the Great Group Christmas Bake Off link on the right.
- Congratulations to the winners:
- Sue Wright - Play Reading 1 - Best sponge cake
- Margaret Dunley - Discussion Group - Best fruit cake
- Mike Dias - Ukulele - Best decorated cake
- You can get a newsletter from the National Office of U3A by going to u3a.org.uk/email and signing up for news, events and regional updates straight to your mailbox. There is an advert in the latest edition of Third Age Matters magazine (TAM) on page 9.
- If you like the TAM and Sources magazines please can you send off the Reader Survey in TAM. This can be done online by post or by smart phone. This is very important as these magazines may be lost if U3A members don't say they like receiving them. They let people know what the U3A is all about and give ideas and news of other U3As. It is important that everyone continues to get both magazines so that U3A members recognise they are part of a larger organisation.
- The Leigh Society have produced a calendar which contains many photographs taken by members of our own Photography Group. Jennifer Simpson will be selling these for £5 each at the next speaker meeting on the 16th November at Wesley Methodist Church. Please visit her on her Clay Modelling group table. All sales will go to support the running of the Heritage Centre in Old Leigh.
- Barbara Zybutz has taken on the role of Almoner for our U3A. Please click on the link on the right of this page or the Contacts page to find out more.
- If you haven't already booked your place for next year's holiday to Warwickshire, then please have a look at what's on offer. Just click on the itinerary link on the Travel Group page or contact Lorna Reeve at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more details. Deadline for booking is 31st December.
- The speaker meeting this month generated some very positive comments about the new venue from our members. We also received the following message from Alan, the Property and Lettings Coordinator at Wesley Methodist Church:
- Just thought I'd drop you a line to say that U3A's hire of the church was mentioned at last night's Church Council meeting, as an example of how well things can work! We were delighted by the way it went, a testament to the planning which your team put into it, and it was so nice to see so many new faces in the space, helping us to fulfil our ambition to provide a place used not only for worship but for the wider community to enjoy and benefit from.
- CHRISTMAS EVENT
- It was announced at the Group Contacts Meeting recently that there will be a special event at our Christmas meeting on Thursday 7th December. We are having a Great Group Christmas Bake Off. If you would like to take part by baking a cake to represent your group, then please speak to your Group Contact, who will have all of the details or email email@example.com
- Please note that our monthly speaker meetings will be held at the Wesley Methodist Church from the September meeting onwards.
- Any gardeners out there? Please see the link on the right entitled Southend in Transition for details of local events you might be interested in. For full access to the document, click on 'Enable Editing' at the top. To open a link to a relevant webpage (text in blue) hold down the control key (ctrl) on your keyboard and left click your mouse button on the blue text.
- Group News: London Visit group 1 has vacancies. Please leave a message for Linda Butler on the group page if you would like to join.
- Visiting Gardens 2 is a recently formed group but is not up and running yet. The group is planning to meet at the beginning of 2018 to plan garden visits for the year. Please leave a message for Barbara Hull on her group page if you are interested in joining them.
- Please be quick to book your places on the U3A Study Day at Maldon on Tuesday 24th October, as places are filling up fast. You will have received full details and the booking form by email or post at the end of June.
- IMPORTANT NEWS It was announced at the monthly speaker meeting this month that we will be moving over the road to the Wesley Methodist Church for our speaker meetings, starting on September 21st. The meeting at the Leigh Community Centre on August 17th will be the last one at that venue. Please make a note in your diaries.
- Marilyn Abraham has set up drop-in coffee and chat sessions, which will be held on the 4th Tuesday in the month at The Snug, TruLeigh Scrumptious Cafe, Broadway West, opposite Leigh Library. Drop in anytime between 10.30 and midday. Open to all members. The dates are: August 22nd, September 26th, October 24th and November 28th. This will continue after these dates if supported by members.
- The following new groups have been suggested: Talk Sport, Book Group 2, Quiz, Bridge for Beginners (needs a knowledgeable person to teach the members) and Visiting Gardens 2. Anyone interested in joining a new group, please contact the Group Coordinator, Marilyn Abraham via the Group Enquiries email link on the Contacts page or on 07947 023803.
- The following existing groups have vacancies: Art for Pleasure and Marine Forum.
- Members Interested?
- Terry Steel’s Astor Big Band and singers, together with our guests, the Leigh Operatic & Dramatic Society, present ‘Miller Plays the Musicals’ at the Palace Theatre, Southend on Sept 23nd 2017 at 3 pm. This show is our tribute to Glenn Miller and other great big bands, and to their singers like Frank Sinatra and the Andrews Sisters. Plus, songs from musicals, old and new, presented in the big band style. All our profits, and a collection at this performance, go to the Royal British Legion to support their work with PTSD sufferers. Tickets are available via the website https://southendtheatres.org.uk/Online/tickets-miller-plays-the-musicals-southend-2017 or Box Office Tel: 01702 351135
- Jennifer Simpson is re-launching the Clay Modelling Group. Please visit the webpage to find out more.
- Please take a look at the stunning photos taken by the Photography Group. Follow the link on the right on their web page to the 'Colours' page to view them.
- The Gilbert and Sullivan Group is under way and has a limited amount of vacancies for anyone that is interested. Please make contact via the group web page.
Click on a picture below to see it full-size with more details.