About the International Committee
History of International
The first U3A in the world was established in Toulouse, France in 1973. The first U3A in the UK was formed in Cambridge in 1982. By the mid-1980’s, The Third Age Trust was actively involved with overseas U3As.
In 2015 the Third Age Trust decided to set up an International Committee to promote awareness of international activities between UK U3As and similar organisations overseas in addition to encouraging UK U3As to develop possible links with these organisations.
The international Committee consists of:
Auriol Ainley,West Midlands Trustee; Pershore & District U3A
Jenny Carley, Chairman Chester U3A
Ian Funnell, Fetcham and Guildford U3A
Mike Head, Elmbridge U3A
Maria Chester, East Berwickshire U3A, Secretary General of AIUTA.
The Third Age Trust is a member of AIUTA
Association Internationale des Universités du Troisième Age.
TERMS OF REFERENCE – International Committee.
• To promote knowledge of the international nature and spirit of the U3A Movement.
• To work with AIUTA and other bodies to support the development of the U3A Movement.
• To encourage exchanges between U3As internationally and attendance at international events.
• To provide help and advice to U3As and groupings of U3As on developing international links
Main Areas of Responsibility
• To contribute to the activities of AIUTA through our representatives
• To communicate with our membership about international events through all available channels.
• To encourage international U3A exchanges, visits and attendance at AIUTA and other conferences.
• To collect information about current international exchanges and visits.
• To share such information and provide advice on how such exchanges can be developed.