Group name: Creative Writing
Day and time: 2nd Thursday of every month, 14.00 – 16.00
Venue: Rooms 1 and 2, George Ward Centre in Barwell (insert hyperlink)
The Creative Writing Group meets on the second Thursday of every month at 14.00 to 16.00 in Rooms 1 and 2 at the George Ward Centre in Barwell.
John is the current leader for this group, which started before 2007. John aims to encourage attendees to express themselves in writing with the minimum of constraints (about 500 words), in a light-hearted and fun atmosphere. Members are encouraged to share their work with other Hinckley U3A members via the website or newsletter.
Normally about 10 people come every month, when a topic is agreed for the next meeting, and members bring their work to read aloud. But some members go off-topic. There is always time to discuss in a positive way everyone’s work.
Published authors have been invited to speak from time to time and one member (who is a published author) recently gave a talk about crime writing.
If you want to come along to the group, U3A members can find John's phone number in the Annual Programme.
Free to enter:
Hinckley U3A Flash Fiction competition – 500 words.
Closing date for entries: 28th February 2019
Flash fiction is a very short story, usually 500 words, with a beginning, a middle and an end.
• The competition is free to enter and is open to those who are members of the Hinckley U3A
• You can write on any theme, but do not exceed the 500-word limit.
• You should give your story a title
• Your story should be typed, word-processed or very neatly hand-written on A4 size paper, double spaced with pages numbered.
• Use a pseudonym on your story
• Do not write you name on the story but attach a separate sheet with:
• Your pseudonym and your name, contact details, email/ telephone number
• The title of your story
• The word count.
• Send your story and separate sheet as email attachment to:
John's email: email@example.com
Or: place your story and separate sheet in a sealed envelope and hand it to John.
Prize: choice of wine or a box of chocolates for the winner and runner up.
Judgement: stories will be judged by one of Hinckley U3A's reading groups.
We look forward to your entry.